17 November 2005

72 hour kits

President Gordon B. Hinckley said in October 1998 General Conference "that the time has come to get our houses in order. . . . There is a portent of stormy weather ahead to which we had better give heed." Has this come true? It definitely has! Since October 1998 we have had El Nino twice in San Diego. There have been scores of hurricanes this year and last; not to mention the earthquakes, tsunamis, tornadoes and any other natural disaster that you can think of. It seems like every day there is something else that would warrant "getting our houses in order."

Spencer and I have been thinking about getting our 72 hour kits together for about 6 months now. We made lists of things we need and even went to the Dollar Store to look for inexpensive supplies. It just never came together for us. Then about a month ago we had a Stake FHE focused on emergency preparedness. We went without our 72 hour kits and I felt so out of place. I was determined that day that not another month would go by that we didn't have our kits. So we did the cheater route and bought a pre-made 72 hour kit from Be Ready. It has everything we need in it: water, food, flashlight, first aid kit, blankets, ponchos, plus a crank/solar powered radio. We also put together one for our daughter, Rachel. We are set!

I can't tell you the weight that was lifted off my back when I finally purchased the kit. It made me feel so good to know that I was finally obeying the counsel that I had heard for so many years. The Lord has given us this counsel through his prophets and will bless us for our obedience. He tell us, "If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear." I used to fear the unknown. I used to fear that day that the "Big One" would hit, and me and my family would be unprepared to survive on our own until help could arrive. I no longer fear. I know that because of our faithfulness, the Lord will bless us when that day wil come, and it will come.

4 comments:

Brian J. Hong said...

It seems unrealistic though that we would have a hurricane down in San Diego? I mean even El NiƱo wasn't enough to necessitate a safety/emergency prepardness kit.

But I guess, better safe than sorry right?

Jamie J said...

You are right, there is no threat of hurricanes in San Diego. I'm not only referring to hurricanes. The "Big One" (earthquake) will hit California. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. It's a simple matter of nature taking it's course. California urges it's residents to be prepared for whatever disaster comes our way. http://www.oes.ca.gov/Operational/OESHome.nsf/1?OpenForm.

Ernest said...

There was the stock market crash of 2000 also after Pres. Hinckley's prophetic warning, as well as 9/11 and war in Afghanistan and Iraq, to name a few!!! Isn't it great to have the restored gospel in our lives???

Brian J. Hong said...

that's true...we haven't had a big earthquake in quite a while...