19 November 2005

Ughhh, Santa Anas!

I hate Santa Ana winds. The wind, the dryness, the heat, the dryness. Did I mention how dry the air gets? For those who don't know, Santa Anas are a "blustery, dry and warm (often hot) wind that blows out of the desert." Click here for more information. These winds make the temperature usually in the 80's with often less than 25% humidity. It's the lack of humidity that kills me. My skin dries out and becomes itchy; my noes dries out and hurts; my lungs dry out and it makes it hard to breathe. Right now it's 84 degrees with 6% humidity!! I have put coats and coats of lotion on already today and my skin is still dry. I have drunk more than my daily requirement of water before 11 am and I'm still thirsty. Better go fill up my water bottle and lather myself in lotion again. I can't wait for the winds to die down so we can get some moisture in the air. (Then of course my allergies will pick up). I guess that's one of the costs of living in America's Finest City.

6 comments:

Ernest said...

That's a good day in Iraq! You would love it over here ha ha... May be a new business in lotion here if you have the initative...

Jamie J said...

Yeah, I bet I could make some serious money. But then again, I might be using all my product before it even gets sold :)

heather h said...

Just found your blog...
I gre up in a dirty little town in the inland empire (San Bernardino) and I remember the Santa Anas! I still hiss when I talk of them!

They are nasty evil winds that make it impossible to do anything outside...In Jr. High I remember waiting at the bus stop with my hair in a pony tail (impossible to wear long hair down in this kind of wind) and my ears freezing...and there was nothing I could do. Our backyard fence used to blow down multiple times each season.

Try Vanicream lotion, my allergist recommened it, its great and THICK; but not greasy. You can get it at Costco or Target.

Jamie J said...

Ahh, yes, dirty San Bernardino. We drive through it every year when we go visit my husbands grandpa in LA. I hate the pollution that just hangs there.

Our fences and trees in the yard used to blow down every year too when I was a kid. Thanks for the lotion suggestion. I may just go and get some!

Brian J. Hong said...

NOOOOO not the Santa Anas.

I remember back when I was living in Fullerton in elementary school, my eyes would get itchy from all the pollen and dust from the leaves in the air and the Santa Anas that one time I came home with eyes the size of golf balls, and pink eye.

Stupid Santa Anas.

Jesse P said...

santa anas = offshore winds = fun surf