06 January 2006

A Funny Miscommunication

I haven't been posting much lately. I've been going to bed at 9 pm and getting up at 5:30 to work, so I'm a little tired. Plus all the time that Rachel is asleep I am working instead of doing things on the computer like I used to. Anyway, a funny thing happened today that I wanted to write down. Here it goes...

So I'm in the library this afternoon picking up the new book for my book club and my phone rings. It's my father-in-law. I consider not answering it because I'm the library but something tells me to answer it. The first words out of his mouth are, "Hi! I'm done with court. Are you still hungry?" Uh, what? It's 2 o'clock in the afternoon. I'm lucky if I can make it till noon before I'm starving! So I answer, "Um...we already ate. I'm in the library with Rachel. Where are you?" He tells me he's in Vista with my mother-in-law and was hoping we could meet them for lunch. "Well that sounds fun," I say, "wish I had known sooner and I would have planned for it." Then he says, "You didn't know we were inviting you to lunch? I guess I should have been more clear." Thinking he meant more clear about the way he addressed me, I said goodbye and hung up the phone.

A bit confused, I checked my books out and headed to the car. I strapped Rachel in but couldn't stop thinking whether I had made plans to go to lunch today. The way my father-in-law was talking made it seem that way. I normally don't forget things like that so I was starting to get more confused about the conversation I had just had. I decided to call him back. There was clearly something more that I didn't know about. Well turns out he called last night and talked to Spencer about going to lunch today. Spencer has to take lunch at 11:00 so the 2:30 lunch they were proposing was not an option. Then my father-in-law asked if I was busy. I wasn't home so Spencer said he'd have me call them in the morning. Well Spencer forgot to tell me the message--no big deal. It would have ended there, had someone not called my mother-in-law this morning. Thinking it was me, she made lunch plans for today.

So today when my father-in-law called, they were under the impression I had just talked to my mother-in-law this morning and were very confused themselves when I said I didn't know anything about lunch plans today. So mother-in-law made plans with someone to go to lunch but it definitely wasn't me! I was so glad I called back and cleared up the miscommunication!

Edited March 31, 2006: I finally found out who it was they made plans with! It was my mother-in-law's sister! Apparently she called in the morning and left a message but didn't identify herself so they thought it was me all along. I find the whole thing quite amusing!

No comments: