26 February 2006

I have a hyper kid

There I said it. It's all out in the open. Now I just have to come to grips with it: Rachel is nuts. She never sits still, she is always babbeling something incomprehensable, and she laughs randomly. I love her to death, but she is a wacky one. Now maybe it's just because she is 15 months...but I doubt it. There are a couple other kids her age in church that she plays with and they have nowhere near the energy that she has. They sit still calmly on their mother's laps and smile fondly at the people near them. They don't make loud fake laughing noises just for fun.

Don't get me wrong though. I wouldn't have it any other way. Who would I have to enertain me? Take for instance tonight when she was eating dinner. Spencer was on the phone talking to some survey guy and I was sitting at the table half reading a book and half watching Rachel eat. I guess I wasn't paying enough attention to her because she just starts laughing! I wish you could hear it, but I'll try to describe it as best I can with words. First of all it's a fake laugh. There's nothing funny going on. Second, it is quite cackely. She does this cackle sound from the back of her throat, opens her mouth, sticks out her tongue and tries to laugh. It's the funniest sound ever.

Her fake laugh isn't the only thing that makes her a hyper kid. She dances too. Last week she started doing the famous dance move from Flashdance. She'll stand there, dancing in place while breathing faster and faster until it sounds like she's about to explode! It's hilarious to watch. I feel like singing, "She's a maniac, maniac on the floor. And she's dancing like she never danced before."

I don't know what I'm going to do with this kid. She has so much energy, now only if I could figure out a way to harness this energy to power my home and fuel our cars. Any ideas??

5 comments:

Island Queen said...

LOL... Cute!!

I have one of those daughters too. She has so much spirit and energy and spunk!! At times, it can be frustrating. But I love it!! It makes her sparkel and shine. It makes her .. her. :-)

Found you by way of Dandelion Mama :-) Nice to meet ya! :-)

Zeearah said...

I know what you should do! Have another kid and put her to work, "Can you throw this diaper away?" - "Can you get your little brother a diaper?" - "Can you dance for him/her?" - Actually - my daughter loves to help - makes her feel important. Of course - she is 3 and her little brother 21 months. But by the time you have the next one - your little 15 month old will be ready and rarin' to entertain! (I'm from Vancouver Sisters blog). Just what you need - another person telling you to reproduce! Ha ha.

Jamie J said...

Welcome ladies!

Island Queen-you are right. That is was makes her, her. I do love it...most of the time.

Zeearah-guess we'll have to start trying for another one. LOL Rachel definitely needs things like that to do. She does throw her diaper away though. I love that. :)

Kristen J said...

You know, I think Zeerah has a point. I've said this before and I believe it. One child is harder than two. There's just so much more for everyone to do. Both you and Rachel can have a chance to concentrate on someone else. Then eventually they will be able to play well together and that is heaven.

When I just had Sam I got so I knew where all the free stuff was. Free museum Tuesdays at Balboa Park. Thursday was Kids Club day at North County Fair. Story time at your local library. The recreation department of Escondido has little Mommy and Me class in Music and other things that weren't too expensive. If you get good at scoping out the free activities for kids around town that helps. This comment is in response to your last couple of posts.

You're a great writer. I could just picture Rachel doing the Maniac dance.

Jamie J said...

Thanks Kristen. I need to be more up on the free stuff around here. We go to the park a lot, but it's been so cold and rainy lately that we haven't been able to. I keep telling myself I'll go to Balboa Park, but I can never remember! Those museums are great.