19 March 2006

My talk

So my talk went well today...I think. All my friends came up to me to tell me what a great talk I had given, but they would have done that if it was crappy. I have great friends! I was asked to speak on Elder Eyring's talk from October 2005 General Conference. BTW...I can't wait for Conference next month! I look forward so much to it now. So anyway, Elder Eyring's talk was on Spiritual Preparedness. He said that "there is another even more important preparation we must make for tests that are certain to come to each of us. That preparation must be started far in advance because it takes time. What we will need then can’t be bought. It can’t be borrowed. It doesn’t store well. And it has to have been used regularly and recently. What we will need in our day of testing is a spiritual preparation." He then gave four things that he said if we do them, will help us practice obedience. This in turn will help us endure well the challenges that will come. The four things are not anything out of the ordinary or even things we haven't heard before. They are things that we should be doing anyway: feasting upon the words of Christ, daily prayer, pay our tithing, and avoiding sin and seeking forgiveness early. He said that it was up to us to decide what we are going to do today so that we will or will not be prepared. "We can decide now to do quickly whatever God asks of us. And we can decide to be steady in the small tests of obedience which build the faith to carry us through the great tests, which will surely come."

I was struck by the fact that he didn't say if we do everything right, if we do these four things, then we will not have trials. The trials will inevitably come, but we will have the strength to overcome them and "choose the right while they rage." That is so important because agency is the only thing that is truly ours on this earth. We will always have the right to choose to obey or not. I hope I will always choose to obey.

One of my friends told me in the hallway that she had brought a friend and her husband that were taking the discussions to church that day. She said that I was inspired to say some of the things that I said because it went right in-line with what was going on in the husband's life. It also fit in perfectly with what they were talking about in the discussions. I hope that's true. I prayed and prayed this week that the Lord would be able to use me to tell the congregation what he would want them to hear. I know that whatever I said is nothing unless I had the Spirit and it was received by the Spirit.

2 comments:

Island Queen said...

That's awesome! I'm so glad your talk went well. Thanks for writing about it. It's good to read again.

Lianna said...

Yes Jaime,
You did great! I think we were sitting next to the couple. I do hope they got what they needed to hear from your talk. I'd be impressed if they did because there were several melt downs and kid issues in the vicinity. :)
It seems maybe your talk was just what you needed too. Thanks for being a good example.