16 March 2006

To share or not to share?

I've been thinking a lot lately. I know it's not normally a good thing, but I think these thoughts have some promise. A few weeks ago a friend introduced me to a parenting book. It's called "Making the Terrible Two's Terrific" by John Rosemond. When I was at her house, I read a few pages and was intrigued. I decided to try out something that I read. It has worked wonders on our daughter! It has changed a lot of how I communicate with Rachel. Without reservation I bought the book. I just got it yesterday so I haven't had time to read anything in it, (I'm also reading another one of his books right now) but I am excited to start reading soon. So of course I started telling everyone I know who has young children about this book! I was talking it up like you wouldn't believe. I have been sharing the principle I learned every chance I get.

This got me thinking about what we promote in our lives. I was so excited about how this parenting book changed my views on certain things. It has made life better and easier for me when it comes to Rachel. I was willing to share it with so many people only after reading a few pages. Now the question is why aren't we more excited to share the Book of Mormon and the Gospel with people? It changes people's lives more than any parenting book can. Recently I gave a Book of Mormon to my neighbor. Her and her family are having a hard time right now adjusting to a new area and are having a lot of health problems. She told me yesterday that she has read some of it. I hope and pray that she reads more and feels the Spirit. However, don't think I'm tooting my own missionary horn here. I think the last time I gave a Book of Mormon to someone was over 2 years ago. Before that I think it was maybe 4th grade?? We don't even have pass-along cards here to give out if the opportunity arises.

In my life I frequently use the excuse that my testimony is something that I hold sacred and dear and that it's hard to share something like that. However, I also know that sharing my testimony strengthens it immensely. I don't think it's appropriate to just go sharing the gospel with everyone I meet but I'm hoping that I can be a better missionary to people I meet and know. Too often I tend to rationalize that as long as they are living a good life, things are okay for them, but that's not true. Everyone needs the Gospel. I hope I can find the courage and faith to share the life changing principles of the Gospel with people when the promtings come as easily as I am sharing a parenting book.

No comments: