13 April 2006

Choose Wisely

Tonight I was given a ride home by my Relief Society president from our book club and we started talking about choice and the power of agency. She made the statment that most of life just happens--God rarely steps in. What she meant by that is that God rarely makes or doesn't make things happen. God is bound by the laws of actions and consequences. People have choices and most of the time our lives are affected by either our own choices or someone elses. I totally agree.

When I got home and rehashed the details of the conversation to Spencer I made an interesting connection. I came to the conclusion that choice is intertwined with our knowledge of being a child of God. For example, if I know I'm a child of God then I know my choices matter. I know that God has given me this gift of agency and I am in charge of my own destiny. I ultimately have the choice of being happy or not despite what may be going on in my life.

On the other hand, if I didn't know--or didn't belive in--my divine worth, then whatever choices I make I would think don't matter anyway. I would also tend to think what difference does it make what I decide because it's all going to turn out bad anyway. Plus I probably don't believe in myself enough to actually go through with them.

I don't belive that it's the actual events in our lives that make us who we are. I believe that it is how we deal with them. Life happens and we may have been dealt a crappy hand because of other people's bad choices. I believe the the real test of character is whether we choose to turn to the Lord during these trials to help us through them. We all have this choice. Choose wisely.

No comments: