09 August 2006

Moving is for the Birds

We're moving in 2 1/2 weeks...again. This will be our 4th apartment since we've been married. Now that's not so bad if you've been married 10 or 15 years. However, Spencer and I will celebrate our 4th wedding anniversary next week. For goodness sake, Rachel is not even 2 and this will be her 3rd apartment.

Granted each time we've moved we've managed to get more room for less rent. Thank heaven--and I really mean that--for the "Affordable Housing" program they have here in California. We moved where we are now because we qualified for a new two bedroom apartment for a little less than what we were paying for our 25 year old one bedroom. (We made the decision that once we had children I would stay home to raise them. I made quite a bit of money at my job, but gave it up. Consequently, we are poor) Rachel slept in our walk-in closet for the first 5 months of her life so we were pretty stoked to be able to give her her own room.

Now Spencer has cut his hours at work so he can get through school faster--instead of the 10-year plan we were on--so we are in yet a lower income bracket. This bracket allows us to move into a three bedroom for a couple hundred less than what we pay now. We couldn't pass it up! Not even the thought of moving again would make me think twice about this.

Now don't get me wrong, it's not like we'll be rollin the dough now. On the contrary, with this new place we just might be able to not go in the hole each month. It's just a good thing we have (had) a savings account. I'm excited about the new place and am resolved to stay there as long as possible but I just hate moving. I've already started packing a few things so it all isn't left until the last few days. Consequently my living room is a disaster area. After four moves in four years you'd think I'd have this moving thing down pat and be able to organize better, but that's not true. Can anyone give me any moving tips they have? And don't tell me I should be packing right now...

6 comments:

Island Queen said...

Good on you Jaime!!! Fantastic!! Ok .. I'm poor too - where did you find Affordable Housing info? Im not too far from you in S.CA.

Let me know .. thanks!

Jamie J said...

Here's a couple websites http://www.schdc.org/home.htm & http://www.bridgehousing.com/. I'm sure there's more companies that do this you just have to ask around or do research on the web. Look at your city's webpage--or the surrounding cities--under the housing options. A lot of them have buyer programs or will tell you where to look for "affordable housing". I hope you can find something helpful!

ps. We live at a Bridge housing complex right now, but are moving to a schdc one in a couple weeks.

Jennifer said...

Good Luck with your move!

Allison R said...

THROW STUFF AWAY! So a super clean out. If you haven't used it or worn it in a year or more, GET RID OF IT!

FluffyChicky said...

My husband and I have moved 5 times in the 6 years we have been married (towing are 5 year old and 2 year old along for the fun of it). The last move was 3 months ago (we finally got to buy a house)and we are still unpacking all our crap. Anyway, I totally agree with Allison...if you haven't used stuff in the past 6 months, you are probably NEVER going to use it. Go give it to DI or the Salvation Army. Also, when you move into larger places, do not use it as an excuse to go buy more stuff...otherwise your new place will seem just as small as the old one because now you have even more junk that before. I learned this the hard way. Do you know how much junk a family of 4 can accumulate in 6 years?!

Jamie J said...

Thanks Allison! Yeah, I'm pretty good at getting rid of things, but I could be better. And fluffychicky, 5 times in 6 years?? I thought we had it bad! Congrats on buying a house!