11 September 2006

5th Anniversary

Today is the 5th anniversary of September 11, 2001. Like I even have to say that. Five years seems like a long time, but in reality it isn't. The pain, the shock, the anger, as well as the respect, love, and reverence for those lost, they are all still so fresh.

I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing the morning I found out. I will never forget that day. One thing that really struck me during this emotional time was on the National Day of Mourning a couple days later. We all gathered in our church building and sang and prayed and remembered those who lost their lives and who showed so much honor and courage. The last two verses of America the Beautiful sum up how I feel perfectly.

Oh, beautiful for heroes proved
In liberating strife,
Who more than self their country loved,
And mercy more than life!

America! America!
May God thy gold refine,
Till all success be nobleness,
And ev'ry gain divine.

Oh, beautiful for patiot dream
That sees beyond the years
Thine alabaster cities gleam,
Undimmed by human tears!

America, America!
God shed his grace on thee,
And crown they good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea.
Thank you to all those heroes who proved themselves on that fateful day and still prove themselves each day to preserve mine and my family's freedom. So today say a prayer for those who lost loved ones, pray for the military who are fighting for our freedom and hug your family. They are your most treasured possesion.

No comments: