16 September 2006

I am blessed

I’ve just been so impressed lately how good I have it. I have so much in my life. I have a loving husband, a beautiful daughter. Both my parents are alive and healthy. My brother, sister and I are all on good terms and we speak on a regular basis. So many people don’t even have this.

I had never been to a funeral until about a month ago. A man that Spencer and I respected greatly passed away unexpectedly leaving a wife and 6 kids behind. It was a beautiful tribute to an honorable life but still bitter sweet. It is sad that those kids won’t have their daddy with them on this earth anymore. I love my daddy so much and he is such a huge part of my life that I can’t imagine not having him with me.

I went to another funeral today. My uncle Bob passed away on September 11th. He was married to my dad’s sister. Here is another family that has lost a husband and a father. He was a good man who loved his family and learning. My young cousins will not have their father at their wedding or when their first children are born. My one cousin said the family prayer at the funeral home and you could just feel how much he misses his dad. How could you not miss someone who has been such a huge part of your whole life?

I don’t mean to be depressing; I’ve just been hit with hard reality lately. On the other hand these two experiences have made me think a lot about my life. They have made me more grateful for the small things that I otherwise would have taken for granted. I have become more aware of how good my life really is. Life is a fragile thing. It can be taken from us at any moment. Those of you surrounded by family-whether it be only our immediate family or your extended family as well treasure the time you have with your family when you have it. You never know how long you have.

2 comments:

Thoroughly Mormon Millie said...

HERE you are. I was wondering why you never posted anything, and now Bloglines tells me you have 8 new posts. Stupid bloglines.

I'm sorry for the loss of these two important men in your life... it's nice that if anything positive can come out of it, it's that you become more aware of your blessings and take them less for granted.

Jamie J said...

Yeah, it's my fault. My brother in law just told me yesterday that I didn't have the rss feed set up on my blog. So I set it up. But don't expect TOO much! I'm not that often of a blogger anyway. I try though!