28 September 2006

Just a little kindness

Today I was at Target doing my normal errands with Rachel. They didn't have everything I wanted so I packed her and our other stuff into the car. Then I looked to the other side of the parking lot and saw Party City. I thought they might have what I wanted so I decided to go over there.

When we got inside there was just so much fun stuff to look at and touch that Rachel was going nuts. She wanted to take all the packages of plates off the shelves and bring me every color. I tried to get her to hold my hand but she wasn't cooperating. Then I said I would pick her up if she didn't stop (she hates that!). Well she didn't so I carried her around the store following the guy that was helping us.

This led to a melt down as I was looking at the stuff they had. Eventually I decided that what they had wasn't what I wanted and decided to take the screaming, whining kid in my arms back to the car. On the way out the door, one of the workers asked Rachel if she wanted a balloon. This made her day; changed her mood 180 degrees.

I was so grateful to this nice lady. Instead of giving us dirty looks for having an upset child in the store, she helped make the situation better. Just a little bit of kindness goes a long way.

3 comments:

Thoroughly Mormon Millie said...

I love people like that lady! It would have been the easiest thing for her to be judgemental. We've all been there and wished there were more people like her around at the time. ;) It's nice of you to acknowledge it, too.

Krissy Dowler said...

Ilove that story. Hooray for nice people and greeaatt customer service:)

tracy m said...

Isn't it amazing what one kind little thing can do? Glad your Targeting turned out happier than mine!