05 February 2007

Scripture University #2

Here are some more thoughts as I partake in the Scripture University Challenge of reading all 4 Standard Works in 2007.

I just finished the 4 Gospels in the New Testament and am almost done with 2 Nephi in the Book of Mormon. In the past while reading the scriptures, I have always just focused on one book--be it the New Testament or the Doctrine and Covenants or what have you. I have never read two books of the scriptures at the same time.

Since I started reading in January I've noticed something really special about reading the scriptures this way. I have come to have a stronger testimony that the Book of Mormon really is Another Testament of Jesus Christ. Many times have I thought this while reading so far and could have had way more examples to share but--stupid me--I didn't bother to make note of them until today.

I was reading Acts 4:12 where it says:
Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
and 2 Nephi 25:20 that states
Yea, behold I say unto you, that as these things are true, and as the Lord God liveth, there is none other name given under heaven save it be this Jesus Christ, of which I have spoken, whereby man can be saved.
Here is noted pretty much the same scripture but hundreds of years and thousands of miles apart. The verse in Acts is shortly after Christ was resurrected and Peter and John are teaching the gospel to the people of Jerusalem. The verse in 2 Nephi is after the Nephites have arrived in the promised land 600 years before Christ's coming. Nephi is testifying of the Savior saying almost the exact thing as Peter and John do 600 years later. Both of these inspired men knew what our purpose on earth is. They knew that no matter when you live, the gospel is the same and Christ is the only sure way back to our Heavenly Father and salvation.

To me this shows that the Bible and the Book of Mormon are truly designed to work together. The Bible as the stick of Judah together with the Book of Mormon being the stick of Ephraim shall be one. They are one in purpose which is to testify of Jesus Christ.

No comments: