04 March 2007

I Love the Internet

I love the Internet. There is endless information on there. Granted not everything is good, but I love that if you want to know something it's just a few key strokes and clicks away. Not only do I get to blog and read other's blogs each day because of it, but I have learned so many cool things lately.

For instance today I needed to know if I had to soak beans overnight or if a few hours would do. Well lo and behold I learned beans can only soak up so much water before they reach capacity--usually in about 4-6 hours. Hooray! I could have my beans soaked in time for black bean soup tonight for dinner.

A couple other things have to deal with my recent hobbies. I got a Kitchen Aid mixer for Christmas and have been using it like crazy. I decided that with this lovely tool in my kitchen I would try my hand at making bread. Now Spencer loves bread. Give the guy a loaf of good bread and a neat drink and he'll be happy for a while. Anyway so I have mostly just made French, white and wheat breads so far, but I'm still learning. At first I was just using the recipes from the Kitchen Aid book that comes with the mixer, but wasn't really happy with them. They tasted funny after a day or so and smelled really yeasty. So one night I decided I needed to know more about bread so I turned to my trusty FireFox browser. In a couple hours I had 6 websites as favorites so I could go back and reference them if I needed to--and I have.

My other hobby lately is quilting. I've made two quilts in the past--nothing exciting--but I'm trying to get back into it. Luckily my Grandma gave me a big box of scrap fabric that I can use. So on Friday night I Googled free quilt patterns and a few came up. I decided on one and started last night. It has step by step instructions on how to cut your fabric and piece it together. This is awesome for someone like me who watched my mom quilt, but most certainly doesn't know the ins and outs of quilting. I have already made quite a few squares because it's so simple so I should have it done in a few weeks. All because of the blessed Internet!

It will be strange when my daughter grows up and has no idea what life was like without the Internet. I will have to tell her that when I was a kid when we didn't know something we asked someone who did or went to the Library to research it. Times have definitely changed but in my opinion positively for the better.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

You probably stumbled across this site in your free quilt pattern search... but it is AWESOME!!! http://www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore.html It's just quilt blocks, but then you can figure out how many blocks you might need. The thing I love about this site is the difficulty ratings. It tells you just how hard each block is to make! YEAH!! Just what I need :)