02 July 2007

Anne-spelled with an "E"

I learned from experience Saturday that you should never watch 6 hours of Anne of Green Gables at a time when your emotions are very near the surface. I sobbed and sobbed all day.

So here's the background: a couple weeks ago I had a free night so I decided to watch Anne of Green Gables (the first one). I got a couple hours into it and went to bed. But I had this longing inside of me to watch the rest of that movie and Anne of Avonlea. So on Saturday Spencer spent the whole afternoon at the library and Rachel spent the whole afternoon sleeping. The house was clean and I couldn't think of anything better to do than plop my butt on the couch with my feet up and a cross stitch in my hand and watch the rest of these beloved movies.

I watched most of it, then had to finish it after Rachel went to bed that night. Let me tell you, I sobbed like a baby! Now I love these movies--always have--and always expect to cry, but I don't think I've cried like this for a long time. I remember when I was a kid and was sick, I would usually watch Anne of Green Gables because it was long and took up the whole day. But I grew to love the movies. I love watching Anne her relationships with everyone--Matthew and Gilbert especially--and just long for the last minute of the movie where Anne realizes that she loves Gilbert and they kiss! The kiss! It makes the whole 8 hours worth it!

I think next time though, I'll have to wait until I'm a little less emotionally imbalanced to watch one of the most romantic stories ever.

5 comments:

Terina said...

have you watched the continuing story?? not like the books, but still a good movie. my husband even watched it with me. (there is WWI stuff in it...)

Island Queen said...

I LOVE Anne of Green Gables!! I think I told you this once before - but my mother bought me the videos years ago. I am now in the process of buying the DVDs and I want to see the continued story.

LOL... Anne with an E... Love it!!

Melissa said...

YEAH FOR ANNE! These are some of my all time favorite movies! And Gilbert - oh he was the perfect man! Because, what other man would tease you, take a broken slate to the head, and then say "IT WAS MY FAULT"? Now that's true love baby!

Cheryl said...

Oh, honey, I sob when I watch it now, too! And I don't think it has to do with being hormonal --I think being married and having children totally changes our perspective on these types of things. I sob for Anne as the girl I once was, I sob for Anne as if I was her mother, I sob for Anne as one searching for love, and I sob for Gilbert because of Anne's rejection.

terina-
I totally loved the Continuing Story (although it made no sense; I read all the books and it's their son that serves in WWI --the timing is all wrong), but some people just didn't like it. I'm up for any screen time of Gilbert Blythe! :)

Jamie J said...

Terina, I haven't watched the continuing story. I didn't even know there was another movie until I was talking to my friend on Sunday. I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

Melissa, I love Gilbert! Especially the time when he says "I'll wait for you to make up your mind." You know he loves her from the bottom of his heart!