26 August 2007

Rise & Shine...whether you like it or not

Yesterday we spent most of the day visiting my sister and her new baby--and her family too, of course :)--two hours away. We didn't get home until 11 so I was so happy to see my pillow. Lately, if I don't eat right before bed, I'll wake up in the middle of the night hungry but last night I said a little prayer helping me sleep through because I desperately needed the rest. Well unfortunately my prayer wasn't answered and I awoke bright and early at 3am.

I hate eating in the middle of the night so I reluctantly got our of bed and ventured into the kitchen to see what I could eat that needed very little effort to prepare. I decided on a fruit leather--which are really yummy and healthy if you're looking for good snacks (from Costco) for you or your kids--and ate it as quick as my half-awake self could. 20 minutes later I was back in bed but still with a rumbling in my tummy. I decided to ignore it and try my luck falling asleep hungry. It took about an hour--but probably would have anyway had I eaten more--so around 4 I finally made it to dream land.

Not for long...

Right at 5 o'clock I was awakened to SCREECH! CRASH! BAM! HOOOOONK! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! I gotta tell you it scared the crap out of me! Spencer said I was on my knees looking out the window from laying down in less than a second flat! The entry way to our apartment complex is very dangerous. It's on a curve on a pretty busy road. A couple months ago someone didn't turn and ran into the shoulder and up the embankment. That wasn't the first time someone had been in an accident right outside our apartment either. So this morning someone was trying to turn left into the complex and got hit by the oncoming car. It was early and not too many cars were on the road at all so Spencer--and a bunch of other guys--went out to make sure they got the help they needed. I stayed inside and had breakfast because I was hungry again. Unfortunately that bowl of cereal didn't even fill me up all the way because I tossed and turned for another hour until I finally dozed off around 6:30.

I thought the next time I would wake up would be because a certain 2 year old would be standing by my bedside whispering, "Mommy, I'm hungry. I want some dinner, Mommy." Not the case. In fact when I first wrote this it was just after 8 and she was still not awake. Not that I'm complaining though! :) She even slept through the final thing that disturbed my already inconsistent sleep last night.

Thunder.

Yep at 7:30 I was woken up scared by loud clappings of thunder right over our house. Since I'd only been asleep about an hour I was so confused and couldn't understand what was waking me up for the THIRD time in 4 hours! Finally it registered and I laid there for a few minutes listening as my heartbeat calmed down. I actually like thunder and the smell of a storm that usually accompanies it. We get thunder so rarely that it's actually a treat. It lasted about 20 minutes and now the storm has passed--I can still hear the faint rumblings in the distance--but it's mark is lasting. I am awake and probably will be for the remainder of the day.

We have late church so there's little hope of me getting a nap today. Pray that the speakers aren't boring so I don't fall asleep in Sacrament Meeting and especially pray that my Sunbeams aren't too crazy. I don't think I'll have the energy to control 7 three to four year olds for 2 hours today. Oh and take a nap for me....Somebody should at least get some sleep....

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

I feel your pain!
I'm dreaming of a nap today. #4 was up twice last night, and I have a feeling I won't be getting any sleep today or tonight. Isn't it crazy how everything happens at the same time? I mean, you didn't get woken up once --you got woken up 3 times by random events. A while back, I woke up to feed the baby. Then #1 had a nightmare. Then the cat was fighting with another cat outside our window. Then Brandon realized he forgot to turn off the sprinklers and jumped out of bed. Then #3 decided it was time to get up. Why couldn't these things have been spread out over the course of the week? No, it had to happen in one night. Grrrrr...

Melissa said...

Blech! Sounds like a really dreadful night... I think we had that storm move through here! TONS of thunder around 11:30 and then it rained. OH HOW IT RAINED! We've been here for a year and it has never rained. It kind of sprinkled at one point, but not rain. I grabbed the kids and we all went out and played in it. It was so fantastic...
I hope you get LOTS of sleep tonight!!

Lisa M. said...

I've found myself, lately needing far more sleep, than I used to, it is kind of a strange twist of fate. I've always ran on few hours.

Sorry about your disturbances.

We live on a curve too- yipes. We've had many a crash here.

Good luck! And thankfully, Little Missy had a good sleep!

The Roz's said...

I cannot beleive there was thunder in San Diego. Out of the 3 years I lived there I don't think there was a whole lot of thunder. In Arizona we get a lot of thunder, I don't think I'll ever get used to it. It still scares me a little. Best of luck on the eating and sleeping.

Jamie J said...

Yeah, can you believe thunder?? It's been forever since we've had it like that...the last time I remember a big storm was early 2004. It was weird cuz it rained too and dumped over an inch in Escondido. Now it's back to being hot as ever!