27 October 2007
1. I bought Chewy Chips A Hoy today and ate 1/4 of the bag
2. It was a hormonal emergency
3. I used to hate my first name and at one point tried to get people to call me Lynn
4. There were 3 Jamie Lynn's in my High School graduating class
5. Now I like it
6. I especially like the fact that Rachel and I share the same middle name
7. I am married to a wonderful man that I love
8. I love Reese's Pieces
9. I'm staring at a small bag of them that I'm debating to eat or not
10. I stole them from Rachel's trunk or treat pumpkin stash from tonight
11. I already ate a Twix bar and Nerds plus the cookies earlier (see #1)
12. I like to cross stitch but don't have one that I like to work on right now
13. I'm thinking of taking up knitting
14. I love making bread but haven't had the drive to in a while
15. I have one beautiful daughter who will be 3 December 2nd
16. Spencer and I are trying to make her a brother or sister but it's proving harder than we thought
17. It's been over a year
18. I love the color blue, but lately I've been wearing a lot of red
19. I think red is my new favorite color
20. I grew up in a small town in San Diego county and I wonder if I'll ever live in that city again
21. I drive a Chrysler Sebring that we bought from my Dad
22. I miss my Tacoma sometimes that I bought after I graduated from college
23. Speaking of college, I went to BYU-Hawaii and graduated in 2001
24. I don't use my degree which I got in Exercise and Sport Science
25. I always have to think about how to spell exercise. I always want to add another "c"
26. I am glad I have a degree and can say I graduated
27. We are going back to Hawaii in December. I am going to be an aunt again and my brother is graduating. I am SO excited!
28. I can't wait for the day when Spencer is graduated from college
29. This is how old I am
30. I am super proud of him for getting this far
31. I love The Office
32. I think I am addicted to the internet
33. I have a small part time job that I love to do when Rachel goes to sleep
34. I am glad I can make a little money
35. My stomach is growling so I'm going to eat the Reese's Pieces. Yum
36. I am the middle child of 3-one brother and one sister
37. I love walking with my friends every morning and have missed it this week. The fires broke out and the air quality was too bad to be outside for long.
38. I hate doing the dishes so I'm glad that Spencer is in charge of the kitchen
39. I don't clean my house as often as I should
40. I hate to vacuum and we have a crappy vacuum so that doesn't make it very fun to do it
41. I want to buy a Dyson
42. I'm determined to own a Dyson
43. I had braces put on-with headgear-when I was 12 and got them off the week before I turned 16
44. We acquired a piano last month and I love that we have it
45. I wanted to take lessons when I was younger until about 12
46. My mom forced to continue until I was 15
47. I'm glad I know how to play the piano but I'm not very good any more
48. I love singing songs to Rachel when she takes a nap
49. Some of my toes are double jointed. I always wanted something that was double jointed but never realized my toes were until a few years ago
50. Sometimes when I'm thinking I like to scratch my belly--like I just did trying to think of something else to write
51. I twirl my hair and have since I had hair--before that I twirled my mom's hair
52. I like to sleep on my stomach with one arm up near my face and the other arm at my side
53. I have slept like that for as long as I can remember--except when I was pregnant and had to learn how to sleep on my side.
54. I am very particular about how my sheets are. I like the bottom sheet tight on the mattress and my top sheet and blankets smooth and straight on top of me
55. I am also very particular about how my closet looks. The shirts have to be facing the same direction
56. I don't mind doing laundry but hate hauling my clothes to the apartment laundry mat
57. I long for the day when I will have my own washer and dryer
58. I could live forever in my denim capris, a t-shirt and flip flops
59. I am very patriotic and cry when I hear or sing the National Anthem
60. We are reading a book about the founding fathers next month for book club and I'm very excited
61. I should be reading Frankenstein this month but I can't get into it
62. I have never broken a bone in my body but have had stitches two (or three, maybe) times
63. The only times I have stayed the night in the hospital are when I had a concussion when I was 11 and when I gave birth.
64. I wish I could grow my hair longer than shoulder length but it starts to look nasty when it gets too long.
65. I haven't highlighted it in years but I wish I could
66. Rachel has the same hair and hair line as me, but she can grow hers longer without it looking unhealthy
67. I always had short hair as a kid. My mom never let me grow it out. I finally grew it out when I was a junior in High School and didn't cut it for probably 3 or 4 years
68. That's when I learned I had some wave in my hair
69. Wheat Chex and Raisin Nut Bran are my favorite cereals. Too bad they are rarely on sale and I won't pay full price
70. I love a good bean and cheese burrito from a Mexican place
71. I feel good about myself when I cook a good, healthy, delicious meal for myself and my family
72. I hate peas
73. When I was a kid I would eat the balls that the brown sugar would make when it clumped together. My mom hated that
74. I can't believe I did that now
75. My feet used to be a size 7 but after being pregnant they grew to 7 1/2
76. When we are done having kids and they are older I want to go back to school part time and learn how to make web pages--although things will probably be a lot different when that time comes (I mean with the Internet)
77. I took an HTML class on-line last year and really enjoyed it
78. If I didn't work while Rachel was sleeping I would take another class right now
79. I also want to learn how to do digital scrap booking
80. I have never been to Europe but hope to before I die
81. I can type 61 wpm. I think that's pretty fast, but not as fast as Pam Beesley (she can type 90 wpm)
82. I love Thanksgiving and Christmas
83. I think Halloween is way more fun now that I have a kid
84. I look forward to Easter and our family tradition of homemade carne asada burritos
85. My fingers like to stay busy...I am always feeling or fixing Rachel's hair, twirling my hair, or touching something. I can't sit still for too long
86. I clench my teeth at night--and sometimes during the day--and can really notice it when I am under a lot of stress
87. My two front teeth are porcelain. When I was 4 I hit them and they rotted and fell out. My mom told me she was going to fix my teeth for 10 years and a year and a half ago finally did
88. I have 2 nephews on my side of the family
89. I crack my knuckles
90. I have a long board skateboard that I need to use more often.
91. I ate it really bad bombing a hill before Spencer and I were married so I will only go on flat surfaces now.
92. I have loved to read my whole life. When I was a kid I would read a whole Babysitter's Club book in an afternoon. During High School and college I didn't read very much though because I was always reading textbooks.
93. I joined a book club a year an a half ago and love it!
94. One of my favorite books is The Secret Life of Bees
95. One of the greatest things in life is to be laying in bed with Rachel on one side of me and Spencer on the other side
96. Since being married Spencer and I have lived in 4 different apartments
97. I am looking forward to the day when we can buy a house
98. I am so grateful for my family
99. I have a testimony that there is a God and he knows who I am and loves me
100. I know the Atonement is real and that if we apply the principles we can have the blessings
101. I am truly blessed with so much in my life
Okay go ahead, your turn. I want to see what you come up with!
25 October 2007
The good news is I am finally getting back into gear with life. The skies are somewhat clearer and the smoke is a little thinner in the air. It's not suffocating to go outside anymore. We still aren't though. There is still a real danger of fire in some parts of San Diego county but not near us. They have let most people back into their homes except for the heavily damaged areas and Ramona. They still don't have any water pressure.
President Bush is here today touring all the damaged areas and visiting shelters trying to raise people's spirits. People in San Diego are awesome survive quite well in times like this but it's nice to know we have the government's support.
Thank you for all your prayers and thoughts though all of this. It's so nice to know that there is so much love and concern. That is one good thing about disaster: it brings out the good and decency in so many people. Again, thank you.
23 October 2007
Just on the news they said Harmony Grove is not in immediate danger but the fire has crested to to the top of Mt. Israel--for those who know the area. The good news is that they have brought in the helicopters and some planes to fight the fire today. They haven't been able to fly until today because the winds have been so severe. The air assault is such a huge part of fighting these kinds of fires so it looks like they are at least stopping parts of it from spreading too fast.
That's my update for today. I'll let you all know how things progress.
22 October 2007
Surprisingly there weren't too many people from our ward there, but over time more and more started trickling in. Later the Stake Center, where other wards went early this morning, had to be evacuated so they came to our building too. The kids watched movies all morning while the adults were glued to the news channel. The Coronado Hills fire which is the one close to us never got too big--thankfully, but it could have been devastating had the San Marcos fire department not been on that with serious power. My thanks go out to them for their hard work at protecting us. The evacuation order was lifted a couple hours ago so after a little while we decided we would go back home too.
Unfortunately others in San Diego have not been so fortunate. If you have been following the Witch Fire--you know how devastating it has been. Hundreds have lost their homes and thousands more have been evacuated for who knows how long.
Well it's been a long day and I am frankly exhausted so I'm going to take a nap. Keep praying for the firefighters and especially those that have lost their homes.
21 October 2007
20 October 2007
Yesterday was good though. We went to Bate's Nut Farm and surprisingly she stayed dry the whole time. As previously stated I was planning on just putting her in a pull-up to put my mind at ease but she told me they were only for "sleeping time." I reluctantly let her wear undies and she went potty before we left. We stopped at my Grandma's on the way home and she went potty in her bathroom. I think Rachel was just excited to pee somewhere else.
Later that evening she didn't make it to the potty for #2. Ah crap. Literally.
This morning she did fine staying dry. Her and I went to Target to pick up some gifts for today. We had a birthday party to go to shortly after we got home so I tried to have her sit on the potty before we left, but she wouldn't. It was a costume party and I had already put her duck costume on and she didn't want to take it off to go. I let it slide, but 15 minutes after we got to the party I saw that look on her face. I thought I could get her to the potty in time, but nope. She peed her pants. Luckily her costume was surprisingly dry (it was made out of highly nonabsorbent fleece) and I had brought a change of undies. Crisis averted.
After the birthday party I took Rachel home and left to go to a baby shower. When I got home Spencer told me she had a full blown accident on the porch while they were blowing bubbles. She hasn't had a full pee accident all week and then 2 in one day? Luckily we were able to catch the poop face and get her on the potty in time for pooping tonight so no clean up necessary for that.
I was hoping she would be ready to go to nursery tomorrow in underwear but not I'm not so sure. I htink she won't be too thrilled about wearing a pull-up to church though because they are just for "sleeping time."
I don't know what we are going to do. Any advice?
19 October 2007
The Farm is a huge pumpkin patch and we went today. We got pumpkins and saw the animals they have there. Here are the pictures:
18 October 2007
During the day she would do the dribble test though. She would dribble in her underwear then realize she didn't have a diaper and tell me she had to go potty. I take this as part of the learning curve. I mean, she's been in diapers for almost 3 years. It's gotta take more than 3 days for her to get out of the habit. So we went through a few pairs of undies today.
Then tonight while I was making dinner she was in the kitchen with me. Then she jumped off the chair she was standing on and went in the living room. I was preoccupied coating raw chicken with corn flake breaded mixture that I wasn't watching her. All of a sudden she comes running in and tells me she wants to go poop on the potty! So I tell her okay and I'll meet her in there in a minute after I washed my hands. Unfortunately she hadn't made it to the potty before she went #2. I have to count myself lucky that this is her first real accident in three days so I'd say we are still doing pretty good.
Tomorrow we are going to the pumpkin patch so she will probably be going Pull-up clad because that will be our first real excursion since our adventures in potty training have started.
17 October 2007
She had some little problems remembering she had underwear on when it came time to poop though. It's a good thing I can read her "poop face". When I told her she needed to sit on the potty to finish pooping she said, "You can just change my diaper, Mom." I quickly reminded her she wasn't wearing a diaper and whisked her off to the bathroom. Once there she pooped like a "big girl" should.
She is not quite telling me that she needs to go potty but if I get her on the toilet and remind her she will usually go. I'm going to tackle the morning walk tomorrow so we'll see how she does in the great outdoors!
16 October 2007
For the last couple weeks I've been prepping her that we are almost out of diapers and when they're gone she has to wear underwear. I was going to start yesterday, but too much was going on. So this morning after our walk, I promptly changed her into undies and let the day begin.
Let me tell you, she did GREAT! She would dribble in her underwear a little then want to change them so I made sure she would sit on the potty and she peed! Then this evening she even went poop! She was so proud of herself!
I'm not holding my breath for a great day again tomorrow, but I'm just so thrilled about how she did today. She didn't give me any resistance really about getting undies on or going on the potty like she has before. It really helped that I went to the bathroom when I asked her to also so the sound of me going kinda got her moving in the right direction I think...TMI? Sorry.
I think the kicker was that I told her that only babies wear diapers and big girls wear underwear. She was all over that. She does not want to be a baby anymore. :)
The biggest thing is she "gets it" and she never has before. She understands that she's supposed to keep her undies dry and that pull-ups are for naps and bedtime. I've been waiting for her to be that aware and I'm glad I didn't push her to be potty trained earlier.
Wish us luck for tomorrow and the days to come!
12 October 2007
1. How long have you been a Mom?
Since December 2, 2004
2. How many children call you Mommy/Mom/Mama?:
Just one...for now.
3. Girl? Boy? or both?
One beautiful little girl
4. Did you know what you were having?:
Yes we found out. Although I was convinced I was having a boy. Turns out my mother's intuition isn't tuned right! :)
5. How old were you when you became a Mom?
6. How long were you in labor?
About 4 1/2 hours. I went in to my appointment 2 days past my due date and the doctor suggested inducing me that night. I really wanted her to deliver me and she was going on vacation that weekend, plus I was already contracting and dilating. So we just helped it along. It was wonderful.
Apparently question #7 is missing. ?????
8. What was your least favorite thing about labor?
The shakes I got from the pitocin. Horrible. After the epidural I was fine, thank goodness.
9. Do you want more kids?:
Yep, working on that right now.
10. Do you plan on having more soon?:
Yep, see #9.
11. Does daddy change diapers?
Heck yes he does!
12. How many times have you been peed on?:
I don't think too many actually. Pooped on, now there's a different story.
13. Barfed on?:
Luckily no. Rachel has only barfed twice in her life...must have an iron stomach or something. One time was on my sister in law's carpet. The other all over herself in her car seat. Gross.
14. Is your child named after anyone?
Rachel and I share our middle name.
15. How did you come up with their name(s)?
We went back and forth on names. I liked Annie, Spencer liked Rachel. When she came out Spencer said, "Why don't we name her Rachel?" What woman has strength to fight after giving birth? Anyway Rachel fit her better, but I made sure her middle name was Lynn.
16. When your child(ren) gets in trouble, who is the bad guy?
We take turns.
17. And who is the good guy?
18. What is the longest you have been away from your child(ren)?
My dad and I drove to Utah for a funeral last year and Spencer stayed with Rachel. We left on Friday morning and were back Saturday night.
19. Kids bedtime routine?
Jammies on, brush teeth. I read books, we say our prayers and I kiss Rachel good night. Then Spencer sings.
20. Are your toes painted?
Usually. Red or pink
21. Last movie you saw in the theater?
Bourne Ultimatum--loved it!
22. Last time you had a date?
Last Friday. We went to Costco and Target--what fun! Seriously, it was! We have a date 2 Fridays each month because we do a babysitting swap so we decided to run some much needed errands last week! LOL
23. One thing you will not give up just because you are a mom?
Me time. Gotta have it for my sanity.
24. One thing you did give up now that you’re a mom?
Lots more "me" time. LOL
25. Best Mom you know?
Of course that would be me. At least I try...that's all that matters, right?
Consider yourself tagged! Let me know if you do it so I can read yours too!
11 October 2007
09 October 2007
05 October 2007
Well she did!
We had her on speaker phone and it was just amazing to talk to her and have her answer our questions. We took turns telling her some of our favorite parts and then she would tell us why she put that part in the book or some background. The book is fascinating in itself, but to have the author give us additional information was the icing on the cake.
If you have a book club and are looking for a good book to read, I definitely recommend Peony in Love--and then ask the author to join you. Thank you to Lisa See for taking time out of your schedule to join us. Last night was the best book club ever!