12 December 2007

Back to the Alma Mater

I went to BYU-Hawaii. I started college at a Junior College here in San Diego but didn't know what I wanted to major in so after three semesters I dropped out and worked full-time. I took some time to think about what I wanted to be when I grew up and where I might like to go to college. I finally settled on Phyical/Health Education. I really wanted to be a teacher and thought Health and P.E. would be the best fit for me.

So I started looking around at schools. Ever since I can remember I wanted to go to BYU-Hawaii. Who doesn't? I finally settled on that and Humbolt State in Northern California. I sent applications to both and patiently waited. As soon as I got that acceptance letter from BYUH I new that was where I was going to finish out my schooling.

In January of 1999 I got on a plane to fly 5 hours alone to somewhere I had never been. I sincerely hoped that the school shuttle would be there to pick me up. We got on the big bus and everyone started talking about where they were going to live. It turned out I was the only one not in Hale (pronounced "holly") 3 or 5 which where the main girls dorm. I was in Hale 2 which was a little farther away from the main dorms. I found my dorm room and started unpacking. I didn't think I'd ever make any friends, but within a couple days I had met all the girls on my side of the Hale and some of us became fast friends.

I had a wonderful time that first semester meeting new people and acclimating myself to the area. I also had a great time eating all the yummy food in the cafeteria. I gained 15 pounds that semester and it stuck with me until after I graduated. :)

I spent 2 1/2 years of college at BYU-Hawaii. I had many good times and many bad times. My first semester and my last semester were great but I can't say the same for the semesters in between. I can say I learned a lot about myself during those times so they weren't all for waste. By the end of the 2 1/2 years I was ready to come home. I had island fever pretty bad and couldn't wait to set my feet on the mainland for good.

I didn't think I'd ever want to come back.

Last summer I realized that the time at BYUH was a wonderful learning experience and it made me a part of who I am today. I finally decided that I would want to go back sometime.

Well I'm so excited to say we are going to Hawaii tomorrow!! My brother is graduating from BYUH on Saturday (I'm so proud of him) and my sister-in-law is going to have a baby any time soon. We got great priced tickets and don't have to pay for where we are staying. It couldn't get any better than that. I am so thrilled to go back and see my college and the changes that have been made. I can't wait to show Spencer everything and see my brother and sister-in-law.

So I won't be around for a few days but I'll take lots of pictures and post them when we get back so you all can live vicariously through me! :)

3 comments:

Melissa said...

AWESOME! I'm really really REALLY trying not to be supremely jealous right now. Can I ask which airline you are flying? I'm trying to talk my hubby into going sometime, but he's convinced that the tickets will be $1000 each... they're not... are they?? Have a super fantastic time!!!

Jamie J said...

No they aren't $1000...I never even paid that much when I went to school there. We got a supremely good deal at just over $400 a person. We are flying Hawaiian. There really isn't a better airline to fly there. Everything else is in the 6-8 hundred dollar range but Hawaiian is usually reasonable like between 400-500.

s'mee said...

Thor and I always try to purchase our tickets well in advance so that we can get a good deal and then we set aside about $200, just in case they offer a last minute upgrade. We've only had the opportunity once, but it was totally worth the extra $$$. Wooot!

Have a wonderful time Jamie! I am excited for you! We have one sis and one d-i-l who both spent time at BYUH and LOVED every minute.