18 January 2008

Disconnected

After thinking about it for a while we have decided to disconnect our home phone. I got fired from my very very part time job at the end of December. My boss was paying for our home phone to have unlimited long distance and international calls as well. Once the job ended we drastically reduced our features down to the bare basics. When I was on the phone with the AT&T rep I asked him what would happen if we just disconnected our phone all together--we have AT&T DSL service. He said the DSL would go up a couple bucks. I thought about it at the time and decided to just keep the basic service and pay what we are paying on DSL.

Then a few days ago it occurred to me that we're spending money to keep a phone we hardly use just to save a couple bucks on our DSL bill. I had a huge "DUH!" moment! So we are cutting the home phone completely. We have our cell phones that we hardly use and people rarely call us on our house phone anyway. So we are finally gonna use what we pay for with our cell phones without spending more money on another phone that we don't really need.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

My sister has decided to do this too. They got a cell phone plan that lets them call 10 people without dipping into their minutes and then they get 1000 minutes a month. Sometimes I wonder if we should get rid of our land line too... we don't make that many calls....

Amanda said...

Keep in mind, though, that during Hurricane Katrina, most people lost cell service, and land lines continued working.

I totally understand wanting to save those extra dollars though!

Jamie J said...

Yeah, there are always drawbacks. When we had the fires here in San Diego land lines went out and cell phones were the only ones able to be used so it can go either way.