04 January 2008

A Thousand Splendid Suns

Wow, what a read. It was difficult in some places but overall I thought it was so beautifully written. I love the recurring theme of mothers and motherhood. I think my favorite passage from the book sums it all up. I read this last night at book club and by the end we were all on the verge of tears.
Seasons had come and gone; presidents in Kabul had been inaugurated and murdered; an empire had been defeated: old wards had ended and new ones had broken out. But Mariam had hardly noticed, hardly cared. She had passed these years in a distant corner of her mind. A dry, barren field, out beyond wish and lament, beyond dream and disillusionment. There, the future did not matter. And the past held only this wisdom: that love was a damaging mistake, and it's accomplice, home, a treacherous illusion. And whenever those twin poisonous flowers began to sprout in the parched land of the that field, Mariam uprooted them. She uprooted them and ditched them before they took hold.

But somehow, over these last months, Laila and Aziza--a harami like herself, as it turned out--had become extensions of her, and now, without them, the life Mariam had tolerated for so long suddenly seemed intolerable.
I definitely recommend this book.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Okay - this book has been sitting on my night stand for a long time... I read the Kite Runner and had a hard time with it... so, I was hesitant to read this one. I'm going to pick it up tonight :) Glad you liked it!

Cheryl said...

I agree, Jamie. I really loved this book, too. It made me think hard about the choices women sometimes are limited to and how they can overcome even the most dire of circumstances.

melissa-
I think I was the one who told you not to read it if you didn't like Kite Runner. I kind of still stand by that because there are some disturbing accounts in this one, too...but that doesn't mean you won't enjoy it, so please accept my apology.