25 February 2008

It's a "Pigeon" explosion

We discovered a book last year at the library that quickly became one of Rachel's favorite books. The Pigeon has Feelings, Too! by Mo Willems. It's about a pigeon who doesn't want to show his happy face just because the bus driver tells him to. After having it read to her a few times she had much of the book memorized.

A friend of mine then told us that she had two more of the pigeon books that she would let us borrow. Rachel was in heaven! She had me read these books over and over again so I finally just sent them back to their owner. :) I could only read about the pigeon so much.

Well last time we went to the library Rachel found this book again and of course we had to take it home and this reignited the pigeon passion. On the back of this board book are the covers of the other books that she read last year. So Rachel talked about getting these books for days. I had some money left on a half.com gift card so I decided to check out whether we we could find these pigeon books on there. Lo and behold we only had to pay a buck for two books. We got The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog and Don't let the Pigeon Drive the Bus. Last Friday the first book came and so we read all about the pigeon and his hot dog. Today the second one came and Rachel was so excited! I haven't seen her that excited about getting something in the mail ever.

So now all she wants to read are the pigeon books. I have to say that they are great books to read to kids and I'm so glad that Rachel loves books so much. She'll be sad when we have to take The Pigeon Has Feelings Too back to the library but at least she'll still have her fix of the Pigeon.
____________

Oh and for the record I watched HSM 2 this weekend and it wasn't that great. I thought the songs were pretty annoying. And I don't really think Troy Bolton is super hot, I just thought that was a cute title that would suck all you my readers in. :) And it worked! (cue the guy with the evil laugh)

7 comments:

Emily said...

I totally agree... about HSM... the first one was kinda cute, but #2, I BARELY made it through without vomiting.... annoyance at it's finest! Can you believe they're making a third...

BTW, you're little family pic is SO adorable!!!! Rachel is a doll! I just want to pinch those little cheeks and read her pigeon books!

Melissa said...

I've never seen these books... and perhaps I don't want to :)
Still haven't seen either of the HSM movies... I really need to get with the program!

Marcie said...

I've never heard about the pigeon books. That's so cute that she loves them so much. I love reading to my kids and I'm glad they love books too. You'll have to get a Pigeon Book collection! P.S. I'm rooting for Red Fish!

Jamie J said...

Thanks Emily! Part of what keeps me going each day is Rachel's cute little smile and chubby cheeks!

Cheryl said...

You still need to see Hairspray. :) The best part about HSM2 is the break-up song. Seriously, that was classic!

I've never seen those books, either. They look cute!

Jen said...

I love those books! They are some of my favorites to read to my students (even the 4th graders). They really get into it shouting at the pigeon and all.

S'mee said...

I feel quite out of the loop. I haven't read the Pigeon Books (which sound fabulous) and I haven't seen any HSM (hohum? I'm old) ANy who, I may have to check out the books. Thanks for the tip!