12 February 2008

Purging

Rachel's cousin is 6 months older than her and her parent's last child. Consequently over the past 3+ years we have been the recipient of all Josie's grown-out clothes. At first I kept everything--whether I liked it or not. Then as the clothes started piling up, I started to be a little more selective in what I kept. I rifled through the bags, chose what I wanted and either took the rest to D.I. or gave it to my friend to rifle through for her daughter. Still that left me with LOADS of clothes that I've been keeping in bins in Rachel's closet for the past 3 years.

I have 7 bins full of clothes. About 6 months ago I went through and got rid of a bunch too. We've also saved lots of baby stuff in anticipation of our growing family. Our apartment is cramped to say the least.

Well after recent events and the realization that it will be at least--and I emphasize at least--one whole year before we can bring another child this family, I decided we didn't need all this stuff.

I went through the clothes today and ended up with 5 bins that I'm taking to the neighborhood consignment shop. (If you know me and want to come take a look before I take it there, you have two weeks.) We saved the crib too but I was wishy-washy on whether I wanted to use it for future kids anyway. So due to it's age and stability, into the trash it goes.

I've also decided I'm done with my stroller. I've been holding out on buying a new one since I was planning on buying a double, but now I decided I'm not walking a whole year plus some with a crappy hand-me-down stroller with no brakes. Off to craigslist.com I go for that.

Grief can make people do interesting things and for me it makes me want to buy things and purge things.

6 comments:

Cheryl said...

Me, too. It's like if I somehow change the environment around me, I can change what happened. Or at the very least, I can begin to move on. It's like whenever I broke up (or was broken up)with a boyfriend, I would go get my hair cut.

I totally get what you're doing and why. It's good therapy and I hope it helps. Here's a hug...

Hazen5 said...

Purging makes you fill like a weight has been lifted off your shoulders! I just did it with Payton's close yesterday, I have a huge trash bag full to give to her younger cousin. Boy, does it feel good. I hope your doing okay, stay positive!!!

Jen said...

I completely understand. I'm exactly the same way.

Marcie said...

We are running out of storage room here too, and most of it is due to clothes! My sister gives me all of her two girls' clothes and I have baby girl clothes plus girl clothes up to size 6T! Of course there's also Gavin's past clothes as well. I am grateful for the clothes but realize that soon I may not be able to have any more! I bet you felt so much better after doing that- good for you.

Carrie said...

Hi Jamie,

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I hope you are doing okay. I just wanted to let you know that I had a hard time getting pregnant with Beau and have also had 2 miscarriages and if you ever want to talk or have any questions you are more than welcome to ask. I hope that you will stay positive. It was really hard for me, but I look back now and realize Heavenly Father had a plan for me and our family. I will keep you in my prayers!

Melissa said...

It's amazing how purging can make you feel better. You've got to do what you need to do!