15 February 2008

Snow Day!

So on Tuesday when I dropped Rachel off at school it was 85 degrees on the High School marquee. Then yesterday it said 45 degrees. The weathermen thought there was just a small storm that would bring light drizzle coming. Boy were they wrong! This was the freakiest storm I have ever seen in San Diego.

It was pouring rain here and it didn't stop until about 4 o'clock. Since it was so cold I knew there had to be snow in the mountains but until the afternoon I didn't know how much snow or where. Normally the snow level in cold storms is around 5-6000 feet. That puts it in the Laguna and Palomar mountains and a little lower if we're lucky.

This time the snow level was at 1500 feet. I used to live in the town that is at 1500 feet and can only remember one time in my life that it snowed--when I was in 6th grade. That would put it like 1989 or something. And I'm just talking about "Did it just snow?" kind of flurries. When we were watching the news yesterday they had stories of all these people stranded and sliding off the road because there was three inches of snow--in one day!

So of course I had to go. Rachel and I went with some friends and we headed up there today. We drove through Ramona and started to see it on the low foot hills. I stopped at the last house we lived at and there was still some snow on their yard. Then we headed a little further and as we went more east there was more snow on the ground. We stopped only a few miles out of town on the side of the road. It was so funny because when we got there there was no one around. The snow looked completely untouched. But within 5 or 10 minutes a car stopped and a family got out. Then more and more cars stopped and when we left there were probably 10 cars parked on the side of the road. There was so much snow and we had a blast! We made a snowman, and threw snowballs at each other and even slid down a hill! Here are some pictures! (this first one is what it looked like when we pulled over and the last on is what it looked like when we left) (Oh and I'll probably post more since my friend that come with us took way more pictures than I did)







5 comments:

Melissa said...

So FUN! We talked about going sledding today... we even have a sled from our time living in Oregon... but it probably won't happen. Maybe Monday...

S'mee said...

I am impressed that you had actual mittens and snow cap at the ready! Cool photos, looked like a lot of fun!

Jen said...

You should come to my house. I've been wanting to see the sun and grass. LOL

It looks like you guys had a great time!

Hazen5 said...

Did Rachel love it or What? I wish I would have taken the kids.

Cheryl said...

That is great! That's the perfect way to have snow. One day of fun and then you can drive away from it back to dry roads. :)