06 March 2008

Jane Austen Book Club Surprise!

It's done! I actually finished it on Saturday and I am so thrilled! I made a Regency period dress.



I have had this idea for quite a while and a couple weeks ago decided to just go for it. After watching the Jane Austen movies recently and reading Emma this month I thought it would be fun to make a period dress. I found a pattern on line and then bought what I thought looked like country day gown fabric. It didn't turn out as Regency-looking as I hoped, but I'm glad I made it.

It was more difficult than I anticipated, but I think it turned out okay...Here are some closeups of the back and the bottom "petticoat" that I sewed on to the lining.



Here's a picture of me in it so you can kind of get the full effect of it.

11 comments:

Cheryl said...

WOW! I love it! It's so nice --honestly, I really, really like it! And I'm so impressed that you can sew --frankly, I'm impressed with anyone that can sew, since I can't even thread a sewing machine --and that you made a dress!

Love it. Love it!

Julie P said...

It's hard to inspire me to want to sew - but you've done it! LOVE IT.

S'mee said...

Great job, it looks great! Back in the day our book club decided that the monthly host would dress in character and lead the discussion of the book...it was SO fun! Congratulations I think the club will adore it.

Emily said...

AWESOME!!!!

bythelbs said...

Lovely! Maybe you could make a matching one for your daughter and wear them for Easter?

Very impressive sewing skills.

Matt & Brooke said...

I'm impressed...i'd love to sew!

Marcie said...

What a pretty dress and it looks darling on you! You've got talent. :)

Michele said...

Wow!!! The dress is beautiful. You did a great job. It looks great on you and I love the colors.

Hazen5 said...

Only one thing is missing from this perfect dress...Your head! I want a full picture with your face. But, I do think the dress is gorgeous, you did an amazing job!

Melissa said...

WOW! You did a FANTASTIC job! I am really impressed :) I've never been very good at sewing clothing... good for you for having an idea and following through!

Lisa M. said...

Oh, I think that is lovely.

A Jane Austin Book Club sounds so neat too.

Wonderful!