15 March 2008

Not so quick on my feet...

I don't like being put on the spot. I do not think quickly on my feet and because of that make a fool of myself often. I remember too many times someone saying something to me and me just nodding or worse doing nothing and then the conversation is over. A minute or so later I usually think of something to say but the moment would pass. I would spend the rest of that day reliving the conversation and kicking myself that I couldn't think of something good to say.

Unfortunately it happened again last night. We went to an improv comedy club in San Diego--the kind where they brown bag the comedians if they say anything inappropriate--with some friends. If you have never seen this kind of comedy show they take suggestions and the ideas for their skits from the audience--think Who's Line Is It Anyway? Well the "Ref" asked for a show of hands who was here with their family. Spencer and I raised our hands since we are part of our family. Since we were in the second row they called on us to answer some questions. The "Ref" asked me to describe Spencer in a couple words. All I could think of was "hilarious" and "energetic." What?? She looked like she could use a couple more words but my mind was completely blank. Spencer chose patient, kind, dependable and enduring. Pretty good on his feet, that guy. Then I had to describe Rachel and my brother Jesse. I failed miserably with them as well. What they did then was take the words we gave them and then they acted out a scene trying to portray us as best as they could. I actually got to go on stage with them (I'll post pictures later) and buzz them if they got it wrong and ding them if they got it right. It was pretty fun but all I could think of was going "doh!" and hitting my forehead with my palm. (For what it's worth we did get two free tickets to go back so that was pretty cool.)

All day long I've been replaying that scenario in my head. Of course I can think of plenty of things now to describe Spencer: dependable, loyal, responsible, friendly, understanding, a good listener, playful, talkative and on and on but I couldn't for the life of me think of those on the spot.

I know I know my family, but it's times like this when I question myself and it drives me nuts.

8 comments:

Marcie said...

Don't feel like you're the only one this happens to! I often think of what I should have said after the fact also. Just give me time to think it out and write it and I do so much better!

Cheryl said...

Ooh. I can feel your pain. I hate being put on the spot, too. If I'm brushed up on my social skillz, then I do okay, but I totally know where you're coming from. I used to rehearse what I was going to say before I encountered people. I don't do it as much anymore, but still! I understand...

Jamie J said...

Cheryl, I have done that too before but I'm happy to say I don't have to as much any more either. I guess I just need to get out more rather than just carrying on conversations with 3 year olds!

S'mee said...

ugh, why is it that we can be hilarious and witty until we're in the spot light?

It sounds like it was a fun evening, I'm glad you get to go back again!

Susan M said...

I can totally relate, too. Does sound like a fun time though!

Lacey said...

okay so i was there and you did great! i'll send those pics to you right now!

Lacey said...

guess i don't have your email, i'll send them later

Janelle said...

Hi Jamie, thanks for commenting on my blog. I like going to improv comedy shows. My problem would be saying something too personal and my then my husband would be giving me "the look."