23 March 2008

What did you sing today?

We were a little late to church today (I can't remember the last time we were late) but
when we sat down I noticed the opening song was Christ the Lord is Risen Today. Personally I love this song so I was pretty bummed that we missed singing it. Our Sacrament hymn was O Savior, Thou Who Wearest a Crown and then we closed with He is Risen. The opening and closing songs seem to epitomize Easter worship in at least the wards I have been in most of my life.

Did you sing these songs too?

Looking in the Hymnal there really are only 4 "Easter" songs (We sang three and the other one is kind of obscure) then it jumps right into Christmas. Now I love Christmas too, but the Resurrection is the greatest moment in history. "He is not here: for he is risen" is probably the greatest phrase ever spoken. We should definitely have more songs to commemorate this event. I realize that our Sacrament Hymns talk about the Savior and his ultimate sacrifice but many of those are focused on his death and/or Atonement. I love Easter and thinking about the Resurrection and what a glorious event it was. I wish that we could celebrate the Easter season more like we do the Christmas season--by singing Easter-themed songs leading up to Easter Sunday.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

We sang "That Easter Morn"; a Sacrament Hymn (can't remember which one), and "Christ the Lord is Risen Today". I played "I Believe in Christ" as my piano solo and the choir sang "I Stand All Amazed."

For prelude, I played Sacrament songs.

I agree --I do wish there were more Easter songs, but all those Sacrament Hymns that we sing every week are basically Easter songs. Especially in the last verses --they do talk about the Resurrection. I think we kind of gloss over them because they are sung so frequently...

Susan M said...

We had a music sacrament meeting, interspersed with youth reading the testimonies of latter-day prophets. I can't remember what all was sung, but it included:

I Stand All Amazed
I Believe in Christ
Armies of Helamen (young men)
some primary songs (by primary children)
the young women sung something that had them all in tears, can't remember the name but it's an awesome one
An 8-piece chorale group sang something else that had me in tears, can't remember what it was

Darn my stupid memory.

Hazen5 said...

Ditto with everything said! By the way, Rachel looked adorable today, I just had to say it again!

bythelbs said...

We opened with "All Creatures of Our God and King" and closed with "Christ the Lord is Risen Today". The choir sang "In My Father's House are Many Mansions"--I didn't recognize it, but it was lovely.

I think the Sacrament hymns are Eastery, based on the subject matter, but it would be nice to have some more upbeat ones. I love the alleluias!