02 March 2008

What a great Sunday

This morning I woke up before my alarm. This is rare--not that I actually use an alarm each day--because lately it's been very hard for me to get out of bed each morning. I'm just so tired. Usually I'll wake up around 6:45ish when Rachel comes in but then roll over and go back to sleep until 7:30ish. This morning I was ready to go at 6:15, and I stayed up late last night too. It was the sign of a good day to come.

We got to church and I kept wondering why only one person was sitting on the stand ready to give their talk. When I saw that person stand up and lead the music I remembered--again, I did fast--that it was Fast Sunday. I didn't really feel impressed to give my testimony then, but about halfway through the meeting that changed. My thoughts were preoccupied by other things not church related until one brother stood up to bear his testimony. Something he said really lit a fire in me and I felt the Spirit so strongly. I knew I would have to bear my testimony before the meeting was over.

I stalled through the next person but couldn't wait any longer. I bore what was in my heart about the love the Savior has for each of us. I have realized through my recent experiences and through those of my family and friends that life sometimes just sucks. It doesn't go as we planned and many times we are thrown a curve ball. But I've also realized it's how we deal with those experiences that makes us who we are. I know that the Savior and my Heavenly Father know who I am. I know that they listen to my prayers. I have had them answered. I know that Jesus Christ is my Savior and that he loves me deeply. I also know that sometimes the pain of trials and life doesn't go away, but through the power of the Atonement the Savior can help us through our trials. He can hold our hand or our arm if we are having trouble standing up and walk with us.

Through this last miscarriage I have needed that support. I have needed more hugs from Spencer and more comfort. I have been comforted by the fact that Jesus Christ is there and will always support us if we ask. I am so grateful for this knowledge.

The other thing that made today so great was my Sunbeam class.

I finally realize why people have always told me that teaching the Sunbeams was such a great calling for them. Last year I didn't feel that way. To say the least my class was challenging. I loved those kids, but it wore me out every Sunday. This year my kids are so different. They have different personalities and like different things.

Today the lesson was on "I'm Thankful For Water." First of all the lessons are so great in the Nursery/Sunbeam manual. Next week I think we are doing "I'm Thankful for Trees and Flowers." I had so much fun with the kids today. We played a little charades game and some of the kids made up their own rules but it worked! They had fun. Then we talked a little about water and how important it is to be baptized. Then we did a little craft of gluing rain drops on a paper with pictures of things we do with water. One of my boys actually said, "Can you bring the raindrops and the glue next week? It was really fun!" I love it when you can really see that the children are absorbing what you are teaching. It is really true that we should be like a "little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven ."

5 comments:

S'mee said...

Wow. This was probably the best post I have read in a very long time. Thanks Jamie. Awesome.

Jen said...

You have such a great outlook on life. I think of the many women that don't have the gospel in their lives that have challenges TTC and miscarriages. I think by having a testimony and knowing that Christ is there, sometimes even carrying you, is waht keeps me going. While my trials aren't easier than those who don't have a testimony, they are definately easier to carry.

Melissa said...

I'm so glad you had such a good day! Your testimony is so awesome... thank you so much for sharing it here!

Cheryl said...

Can you even imagine what your experiences would be like without the gospel? It's days like the one you're describing that get us through the toughest trials. I'm so glad you had a good Sunday! And that you bore your testimony.

Matt & Brooke said...

Thanks for sharing this Jamie, we were at another ward and I missed your testimony. I'm so sorry to hear you had a miscarriage- I had no idea. What an amazing strength you have, such a good example of how to be!