22 April 2008

American Idol: Andrew Lloyd Webber Style

Top Six?!? Wow it seems like the season just started. What am I going to do when it's over?? I was a little worried when I heard that it was going to be Andrew Lloyd Webber songs. His songs are so well-known so the contestants had to work really hard tonight. I gotta say for the most part I think they pulled it off. And on to the review!

Syesha looked like she was having so much fun on that stage. I agree with Randy, she did a great job! I think that she should not work toward being a pop star, but go into the theater. That's definitely her niche.

For Jason Castro I thought the song was a little low for him. You could tell he was kind of struggling with it at the beginning and he didn't hit some of those notes. I loved his voice singing that song though I just wish he had done better.

Brooke is struggling. I love her but I thought she was looked so uncomfortable on that stage--and stopping and starting! Ahh! People probably wouldn't have noticed if she garbled a word or two.Unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if she went home tomorrow. I feel bad for her but if she can't hack the pressure now I don't know how she's going to do it in the real world. I'll still vote for her though because I think she has a beautiful voice.

David A was pretty good. I loved that he threw a pop spin on it. Although it's not my style of music completely--totally KYXY Soft Rock again--but he did well, forgettable, but well.

Carly: Well I've never seen "Jesus Christ: Superstar" but I have heard that song. I have some issues with that musical but overall I thought this song fit Carly's personality. I think people will remember this one from her.

And lastly, David Cook gave me chills. Music of the Night is a deeply emotional song and you could tell he was feeling it. Man, those eyes. Wow, I love this guy! You could tell David Cook can sing! On a side note did you read about the fact that he has a solo album out? It was on Amazon for downloading until yesterday and they took it off. I don't see what the big deal is. Obviously he is still undiscovered talent. My friend has an album out that he did himself, does that mean he can't audition for American Idol? I think not! Go David!

My predictions for the bottom three: Jason and Brooke (unfortunately) and Syesha

10 comments:

Melissa said...

I will agree with you on the bottom three. I still think it will be an all David finale...

Cheryl said...

I just hope Brooke learns a lot from this experience. I think a lot of people assume that being a musician is enough to make it in the music industry, but holy hannah, it's so hard! And not just getting your name out there. The pressure is overkill sometimes. Thus all the suicides and drug-related deaths.

bythelbs said...

I agree--it will be an all David finale.

I enjoyed ALW's comments about the contestants. It was cool to hear some less sugar-coated opinions.

Emily said...

i totally agree with you on almost all accounts, it'll be interesting to see what happens tonight.... i hope brooke makes it another round, but after last night... OUCH!!!

David Cook proved that not only he can rock it, but he can sing THAT song too, i was leary for him, but he pulled it off beautifully!

Jamie J said...

bythelbs, I totally agree with you. I mentioned to my husband that it was nice for someone to actually give a little feedback instead of just saying, "What a great job!" He actually helped the contestants.

Susan M said...

I must be the only person alive who thought David Cook was horrible? I was covering my eyes in toture, my husband was laughing at him.

bythelbs said...

David Cook had me at "Hello". I actually think that was his best performance. I guess I liked it so much that I've been able to forgive him for anything he's done since that I haven't been crazy about.

I think the Broadway theme night was just a bad idea. I don't think the next "American Idol" needs to be able to sing this kind of music. But listening to ALW pretty much made it worth it for me.

Jamie J said...

bythelbs, nice one! I totally agree with you. I could listen to him sing anything....*sigh*

Julie said...

Susan, wherever you are, I TOTALLY agree with you! I despised David Cook's performance last night!

Shelly said...

Yup...bottom three still Jason, Brooke and Syesha. I still like Jason and Brooke...but they struggled last night. My prediction for the top two finalists----David Cook and Archeleto. (Personally....archeleto is just plain dull! But hey...what do I know???