16 April 2008

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

We are reading Twilight in book club this month. Instead of waiting an indeterminable amount of time for my turn at the library I just bought the book from half.com. I was excited when I got it in the mail on Friday but I didn't let myself read it until I'd finished last month's book, Thunderstruck (which was good by the way). I finished that one Saturday so Sunday night I picked up Twilight.

When I get into a book I immerse myself in that book. It's hard for me to do anything else. I remember when I was younger I would sit on the couch and read all afternoon from start to finish. Of course those were books like Nancy Drew or Babysitter's Club but still I couldn't put them down. I've been known to read the Harry Potter books in one or two sittings. I knew that it would probably be like this when I read Twilight.

Sunday night I read for around three hours until almost 1 in the morning when I finally forced myself to go to sleep. Monday night I couldn't stay up as late but again couldn't put the book down until midnight.

After dropping Rachel off at preschool yesterday I headed to the park instead of my usual destinations of Target or Vons. I read for the full hour and a half and finished just in time to pick Rachel back up.

After finishing it yesterday I felt like I could move on with my life. It had virtually stopped the last few days while reading Twilight. Not that it was the most intellectual book I've read or even the most suspenseful or thrilling. It was intriguing. It kept me guessing about Edward and vampires. I'm not an expert on vampire, you see. I throught there were a few holes in the plot and times where I had to ask myself, "Did they mention this before and I missed it?" but overall it was extremely entertaining. I was a little dissappointed in the lack of emotion I felt--I have been known to cry while reading books--toward the characters but I'm definitly hooked (by the way, my friend Lacey said she cried in the third book so I guess there's still hope). I alread put the next two books on hold at the library and can't wait for my turn!

10 comments:

Cheryl said...

Welcome to the Twilight club! It's an obsessive place, until you are removed from the book for a while. Then you feel shame. But that won't stop you from devouring Book 4 when it comes out in August or going to the movie theater to see the movie next December. It's Book Candy, to be sure, but I think it should be called Book Crack --it's just that addictive.

Oh, for shame!

Emily said...

yeah, like I said before, you have to be prepared to ignore all other aspects of your life... so be prepared for book 2 and especially book 3!

welcome to the dark-side!

Susan M said...

It's funny, there's so much I think is wrong with these books, but I'm still hooked.

bythelbs said...

I really like this series too--against my better judgment. I would almost say I'm ashamed to admit how much I like these books, but then I see how many other thoughtful, intelligent women like them too. But still, I always feel the need to recommend them with a disclaimer.

For some reason I seem to have an affinity for all things vampire--well, not ALL things--but I do enjoy vampire stories and I was a huge Buffy fan. And I think Moonlight is the best awesomely bad show on television right now.

Jen said...

I loved the series. You will see in book 2 and/or 3 that you will probably shed tears. I liked the books because they aren't only interesting at the beginning and end, but also the middle. It's such an addictive series. I can't wait until the next one comes out.

Janelle said...

How can you possibly wait for the library. As soon as I read book 1 and ran to my local book store and bought 2 and 3. "Book Crack" - that may be my favorite thing Cheryl ever said.

Pierces said...

HEY! We found your blog through Jesse and Doretha... Now we can keep in better touch with the rest of the Price family!!

Jamie J said...

Janelle and Cheryl: "book crack" to be sure. I need my fix! I think I might just follow you and break down and buy them.

Jessica said...

I had to read all three right in a row. Needless to say, I didn't get much else done during that 3 weeks. So good!

Barushka said...

I was also quite addicted to the Babysitters Club back in the day. Those were such great books! I probably couldn't stomach them anymore, but all the same. Good memory!