15 May 2008

When all else fails, blame it on aliens

I have a new mantra that I'm going to live by. "When all else fails, blame it on aliens" It was inspired by bythelbs' post on losing things. I am not usually a loser of things. I know where things go and while they may not always make it back to those spots I can usually easily retrace my steps and find said missing thing. I know where my keys and purse are. If Spencer doesn't put my shoes away in the closet I know where they are. I can usually leave the house without much, "Where did my keys go?" "Has anyone seen my purse?" I feel like I have a pretty good hold on where my belongings are. Until about a month ago....

I borrowed a few movies from the Library for Rachel to watch. One of those was The Backyardigans. Rachel loved it and watched it for a couple days before it spontaneously combusted. I could not find that DVD anywhere. I seriously tore apart the living room at least 3 times, moving furniture, looking under everything and taking cushions of our couch and chair. I ended up going to the library and asking what needed to be done because for the life of me I couldn't find that DVD. She said we could renew it for a couple more weeks or just pay for the library to replace it. I was all ready to pay for it when the librarian accidentally removed the DVD from my account. She said not to worry about it and if we find it great, but there was no way to get it back on so if it was lost we wouldn't have to pay for it. Great! A couple days later Spencer was sitting on the couch and looked uncomfortable for a second. He reached in behind the cushion and there was the DVD. I could not believe my eyes. I guess the aliens who stole it in the first place decided they were sick of the theme song to the Backyardigans and return the DVD to me.

They haven't shown the same kind of mercy for the other things I've lost lately though. A couple weeks after the DVD incident Rachel and I were finishing up with our morning walk. I walk with a friend in a neighboring apartment complex and we drive there because it's a couple miles up hill. I swear Rachel had both her $15 REEF sandals on her feet when we got in the car. I know this because a few minutes before one of her shoes fell off and she made a huge fuss about getting it back on. She's not one to only wear one shoe and be okay with it. When we got home she asked, "Where is my other shoe, Mama?" Once again I tore apart our car to only come up empty handed. An hour or so later we left and I drove back through the parking lot of the apartment complex only to find no flip flop. Later that day I even asked the apartment manager if they had a lost and found. Nothing...No mercy from the aliens this time. The lone flip flop is still in the car and every time I see it I cringe at the reminder of the lost shoe.

The last thing that I lost I am super annoyed with. Our digital camera is about 5 years old and the battery has recently started to not hold it's charge. A couple months ago I bought a replacement online. It came quickly and I promptly placed it in the battery charger. After it was done I swear I put it on the shelf where we keep all the other camera accessories but when I went to look for a it a couple weeks later it too was missing. Once again I scoured the office and the house looking for this thing and it still has not shown up. I ended up having to buy another one yesterday because I really want to be able to take pictures of Spencer's graduation on Saturday. That's another $40 bucks to shell out for something the aliens took.

Damn aliens. They are ruining my life.

10 comments:

Julie said...

Hilarious. It drives me nuts when I lose things for the same reason -- I rarely lose things. Because I usually put things away, though, I have a very difficult time retracing my steps. My mind just says, "it's where it always is--in the ....." I become a total idiot when I lose things.

shay said...

I think aliens have take over at my house too....when they're finished up here, I'll send them back your way to give you back Rachel's REEF sandals! Thanks for the laugh...and making me feel like 'It's not me, it's the aliens!"1

Melissa said...

Aliens... I knew it!! Don't take this personally, but your alien theory sounds like something Dwight would say on The Office :)

bythelbs said...

I'm so impressed that you can be so calm about the situation. The missing shoe thing would drive me especially batty! I would have to hide the shoe that wasn't missing, so it wouldn't be a constant reminder. I wouldn't get rid of it though, just in case the other one turned up. Actually, I would totally by another pair, but still hold on to the extra just in case one went missing again. But with my luck it would be the same shoe, so then I would just have an odd pair! Little kids feet can handle wearing two left shoes, right?

Hazen5 said...

Love it! I am going to start using that one too.

Emily said...

Aliens visit Utah too, ya know?

Jamie J said...

Melissa, I am honored that you think I'm like Dwight. He is one special guy...

bythelbs, I keep that one shoe in hopes of one day finding it's mate. I vacuumed the car today and was once again reminded of how cruel thieving aliens are.

Cheryl said...

I like that...aliens. Of course it's aliens! What else could it possibly be?

When I lose things, I usually just give up and go eat some ice cream. Fat free, of course...

Susan M said...

I grew up in a house with junk piled everywhere, no organization at all, so I was always losing stuff. Now I live in a house with junk piled everywhere, no organization at all (but not as bad as my parents' house, so I think I'm doing ok).

These circumstances have made me become an expert locater of lost things. I know how to dig around and not give up until I've found it.

I just hate doing it. It's so annoying to not be able to find something because your house is a wreck!

Michele said...

OMG I think they gave back Rachel's shoe in the form of my pair of Birkenstock sandals that have been missing for years. I swear I had looked EVERYWHERE for those sandals. Yesterday I was putting something away in our closet and they were just there. I was like, Where did these come from!!!" Seriously I could not believe they were there. Oh course the thing that I am really looking forward to finding is my hands-free earpiece for my phone. I was using that thing all the time and then poof, gone. I keep telling myself and dh it is here somewhere buut I have absolutely no idea where that somewhere is. As things get packed away the number of somewheres that it could be keeps getting fewer. Better give it back soon aliens!