03 June 2008

The computer will still be here but Rachel won't

So I've been thinking the last couple days. I spend WAY too much time on the computer. I am an internet addict. Not anything bad but a blog reading, email checking, scrabulous playing, mouse clicking addict.

I find myself opening up the laptop and the first sign of boredom. I also find myself ignoring Rachel when I shouldn't. This has to stop. The computer and the internet and my email will still be there after she's in bed or even the next day. But I'm missing my choice chances with Rachel that I will never have again.

This isn't to say I'm going cold turkey on the blogs or email. I'll still be around just not as much. It's funny because I've tried to decrease my internet time before, but I've not been able to do it. (That's how I know I have a problem) But last night I really felt like I needed to pray about it. Ask Heavenly Father for help. So I did. I decided I would lock the laptop in the office and that way I wouldn't be tempted to use it because it's easily accessible. It worked! I really didn't feel the need to check my email or my blogs all day (I did check my email on my phone but nothing was important) which is seriously huge for me.

So here we go. I know I cannot go without the blog completely--it's my outlet, my journal and one of my ways to stay connected and networked with people--but I will be cutting back. So if you don't see me around your blog, don't take it personal, I'm just trying to be responsible. :)

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Ah... well... I guess I understand :) It's something I need to work on too.

Cheryl said...

Completely understand. Completely. I think I need to take this as advice and cut back myself!

shay said...

I think that's awesome! Way to take control and realize your mommie time is way too precious! In our stake's 'covenanted concepts' that Pres. Hainey spelled out, one of the elements is 'to remove something from your life that's holding you back'---this could totally be one of those things if we let it spin out of control (NOT that you were...but I get it!) Way to go, Jamie!

Julie said...

I'll miss ya but come around when you can. :)

Janelle said...

Hooray for self discipline! Can I borrow yours?

Michele said...

I understand completely what you are talking about. It is so easy to spend an hour on the computer reading things and not even realize you have spent that much time. Enjoy your time with Rachel and we'll "talk" to you "after hours" or whenever you get a chance. :)