05 July 2008

A Day at the Fair

On Monday we took Boogers to the Del Mar Fair (yes, the Del Mar Fair, not the San Diego County Fair...it will never be called that by me). We had planned on going because Weird Al was doing his concert but at the last minute we decided we would go to just have fun in the afternoon so we could get Boogers home in bed at a decent hour. We bought a value pack ticket thing at Costco and we had no idea how much we saved. The pack was 4 Fair tickets, a parking pass and 50 ride tickets for about $50 bucks. We figured out that we pretty much got $30 dollars of ride tickets for free so we were totally stoked! My Dad and Karen came with us so that made it fun.

Boogers had a blast! We took her to the Kiddie Land so that she could ride the rides her size and she couldn't get enough. After every ride she would point and say, "I want to go on that one!" Hardly any pausing. She was having the time of her life and it was so fun to live through her excitement. We ended up going on quite a few rides-way more than we expected-and most of them Boogers went on herself. When we were out of tickets, Boogers kept saying, "I want to go ride more rides." It was tough explaining we were all out of tickets!


This car ride was so fun because it "drifted" you around the corners. The kids were loving it!


In one of the barns they had a place to hold baby chicks


This is Boogers reading her "scriptures". The Gideons gave her one of their Bibles and she was in heaven. This kid loves books with all the fiber of her being and to have her very own orange Bible was pure heaven for her. She has been carrying this around all week and sleeping with it. She loves to just turn the pages and pretend she's reading.



The Goliath Slide. Boogers went on this herself. I was scared for her but she had a good time!


A few more ride pictures and of course the obligatory family picture

We ended up staying for a few of Weird Al's songs, but Boogers-and us for that matter-was so tired that we just took off for home. All in all fun day at the fair!

9 comments:

Susan M said...

That looks like fun! We took our kids to see Weird Al at a county fair in WA before moving down here and I couldn't believe how excellent he was. His entire band. I don't know if I've ever heard anyone perform live as well as they did. They sounded exactly like the records. Exactly. But they weren't lip syncing. I was impressed.

Jumbo Shrimp said...

I forgot to put that we saw Weird Al last year at the Del Mar Fair and we loved it! I agree with you susan that it was the most CD-real concert I've ever been to. If you like his stuff I definitely recommend him in concert. Very entertaining!

Hazen5 said...

County Fair= Weird Al!!! That is awesome. Looks like you had a blast. Rachel looks adorable holding that chick.

JustRandi said...

Ah, it looks like it was so fun!

Hey, thanks for your nice comments on my blog today! When you write something like that you never know how people will take it, you know?

Anyway, I'm so glad you had fun at the fair!

Jen said...

Looks like you guys had a fun time!

Melissa said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! They had some really great rides... maybe we'll have to head down there next year!!

S'mee said...

first, your daughter is one cute kid.

When I was little it was almost mandatory to go to the Del Mar Fair (Where the turf meets the surf!) every fourth of July. We would go by train from O'side, spend the day and then hop the rails back up and watch the fireworks from the pier and walk back to gramma's apartment on the hill.

I have nothing but really great memories every time I think of it (even with that terrible "Tilt-O-Whirl incident!") Really fun.

shay said...

I can't believe Rach did those slides!!!! They were big and LONG and steep! Looks like you had fun.

Michele said...

I love the pic of Boogers and her Bible. Reminds me of one of the times we were at the hotel while looking for houses "M" picked up the one in the room and was "reading" it and taking it with him. Then had to sleep with it. I loved all the other pics too and someday I will be sure to hear Weird Al live :)