25 July 2008

Full Circle

Since T-Bone and I have been married--almost 6 years--we have lived in 5 apartments. We are about to make it 6. When we moved to the town we live in we moved to brand new apartments. We were the first residents and we were pretty happy to be there. They are income based apartments and we were paying the same amount in rent for a two bedroom as we were paying for the one bedroom we were living in. We had Boogers who was about 5 months old at the time we moved in. It was a wonderful apartment and we had great friends around us.

Then we heard of a new complex opening up a couple miles away. T-Bone was looking to start going to school full time and working part time instead of the other way around so we were looking for any opportunity to lower expenses again. Luckily we were able to get into where we live paying less for a three bedroom than we were for a two bedroom because of our income. We couldn't pass it up. We've lived here for two years and I enjoy it. The apartment buildings are close together but with the exception of some crazy neighbors that don't live here anymore it's been a good place to live...not to mention having three bedrooms. Last summer we were preparing to sign our lease by submitting all the paperwork that we need to. Our manager said that there was a rule that they had overlooked when we moved in that applied to us.

There must be 4 residents in a 3 bedroom.

At the time we were trying to get pregnant but were unsuccessful. We didn't know what we were going to do. They were holding a two bedroom in the complex for us if we didn't get pregnant. Luckily I did. I miscarried that baby 3 days after the date of our lease so technically we fulfilled the requirements and bought us another year. This year we're not that lucky. Our lease is up again in September and while the manager says that they are going to help us through this I don't know how long that can last.

A few months ago we decided that we wanted to keep our options open and sent in applications to the apartment complex that we used to live in and another one close by. We didn't think that anything would happen but we were hoping that we would be able to secure something in a lower bracket before T-Bone started working full time again. We have accumulated quite the student loan debt over the past couple years and can't afford an expensive place. Plus we didn't know how long we were going to be able to stay here. On Thursday July 10th we got a letter saying the complex had an opening.

At first we didn't want to take it because it was a two bedroom and we thought we could hold out for a three. But then we started feeling uneasy about the decision and decided to go for it. In all of our years applying and re-certifying in these income based apartments we have never had all our paperwork come back in less than a month.

This time it was back in less than a week.

It truly was an answer to many prayers that we gave. We needed the cheapest rent we could find and we pretty much got it. We have to sacrifice a room, but there are worse things than living in a two bedroom apartment. I mean seriously, we were so spoiled living here. Pretty much all my friends live in that complex; I'm there every single day walking with Lacey or playing at the pool or just hanging out with mine and Boogers' friends. It is such a blessing to know that we are being looked after, that Heavenly Father is mindful of us and our needs.

And that's not the half of it. We will not only be able to pay off T-Bone's loans but still have a little to put aside. We have not saved anything for a couple years while we've lived off student loans. I'm looking forward to saving now. Where we live now there was the fear that if T-Bone made too much then our rent would go up (I know it doesn't sound logical for this type of program. It almost makes it so we don't want to try to get a better job for fear of getting kicked out of your apartment) Where we will live our rent will stay what it is no matter what we make. There is a cap on income where they will kick you out but it gives us a much better chance at saving money to eventually buy a house. That's our goal. We want to be successful, contributing members of society and without moving we would have had much less of a chance than we do.

So here we are, moving one more time. Our 6th apartment in 6 years (we pretty much will be moving right around our anniversary). Coming full circle back to where we came from--literally. We will be living in the same building as we did before. I'm not looking forward to the actual moving, but I'm looking forward to what moving will give us.

11 comments:

Knotty Britta said...

We've been married 5 years and have lived in... CA: seperate housing (army barracks rules..) TX: 1 apartment, HI: 3 different places, WA: 2 different, and in December we add more!

So that's 7 for us for now...

Julie said...

I think there are many of us in the same boat! We had moved 6 times in our 4 years of marriage before buying our home. It's nice to be settled. I'm glad you're that much closer!

Good luck!

flip flop mama said...

knotty, the difference is we're not in the military.

Julie, I hope that this will be our last move before we buy a home and really settle. I'm looking forward to that day!

shay said...

I guess at least it's up the street even if it's a pain in the rear to move! How blessed are you?!

Michele said...

I wish I could come help you move, but I better finish unpacking here first. I hope that you will be able to save money and get your own home soon. I am sure that you and Boogers and t-bone will love having your own place. dh and I were hoping that we could move back to the place where we met but so far he hasn't been able to get a job there. It seems kind of strange when life comes full circle but I think sometimes it is a good strange. Here's to a quickly growing bank account :)

Jen said...

I'm sorry you have to move again. It is a bit of a pain, however it does sound like things are working out for you. I'm so glad :)

bythelbs said...

Sounds like everything is working out great!

We lived in four different apartments for the first 7 years of our marriage. I hate moving. Good luck with yours!

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

Hey flip flop,

I've seen you over at Cheryl's blog, and bythelbs (or by the bulbs, ha ha). I had popped over here to check your blog out a time or two...but yesterday I decided to just go back and read all of your archives.

Let me just say, you rocketh! You have been alternately cracking me up and inspiring me. I love your video clips, I've been laughing so hard! I am also so touched by your amazing spirit and sweet testimony of the gospel. I have truly been motivated to be more positive after reading how honest and hopeful you have been. I'm totally leeching onto you now. ;)

flip flop mama said...

MoTWB, you are very welcome to leech. But I'm totally not worthy of all your praise. You just made my day!

Cheryl said...

Aww! It does my heart so good to see my blogging buddies becoming buddies! *sniff

Hey, so I feel for you. Moving lots and lots and lots is not fun --however! it means one can purge. And you don't accumulate too much stuff. That's a major plus! We have been married almost 10 years, and in that time, we've moved...let's see...not counting the first "official" move into our first apartment...is...Eight. Yep! 8 times. So, yeah. I feel for ya! Good luck with all the packing...

Summer said...

I hope you're move goes well!