17 July 2008

In the right place

It's been a long time since I've been to the Temple. I mean I can't accurately remember when I went--I fairly sure I went sometime in February though. Now before your imaginations run wild with sins or infractions I could have committed let me put that to rest. I was just lazy. I let other things get in the way. It would be Ward Temple Night and T-Bone wouldn't be able to go with me or just got home too late, so I would stay home. Then there was the time I really wanted to go but that was the week that gas prices jumped like $0.30 cents in two days. Then there were other times I was just too dang tired--read lazy.

Well last Thursday it was Ward Temple Night again and I was faced with a dilemma. Go to the Temple or stay home? T-Bone had a meeting to go to that night so I would have to find a babysitter for Boogers. I was chatting with my friend Lacey in the morning and she asked me if I had planned to go. I told her the usual, "I want to but...." As I thought about it that day I realized that there was no reason I couldn't go, I just didn't want to put forth the effort to make it work. So I pulled myself together and called my Dad to see if he could watch Boogers. He was free and Lacey and I went together.

For those that are not of my faith the Temple is a beautiful place where we do sacred ordinances for people who have passed on. We don't talk about what we do there but not because they are secret; they are just very sacred to us. As I was sitting in the temple I was overwhelmed with a feeling of peace. I had that burning in the bosom feeling that tells you that something is right. I felt the Spirit so strongly "tell" me that I was in the right place; that I had made the right decision in coming to the Temple. I needed that reminder that night and I was so grateful to have received it.

Don't put off going to the Temple. I know that I won't always receive these feelings and have experiences like this but at least I can remember that that is the place that Heavenly Father wants me to be.

11 comments:

Brooke said...

Good for you Jamie! I'm so proud of you. I have the same issue at hand...totally need to go, but am lame. And I live 4 blocks, so that's even more lame. YIKES! Thanks for a good eye-opener!

The Motherboard said...

that was a good reminder to me. I am totally a lazy-bones. I should be ashamed of how long ithas been since I have been to the temple-- and girl! It has you beat.

When you don't go, it just gets easier and easier to NOT go-- and then years have passed.Which is what Satan wants, right?
Then, you just Don't go cause your embarrassed. See the pattern??

Good job! I need to fix this situation! thanks for the reminder!

Jen said...

I have a hard time getting out and going mostly because my husband works a lot. I need to take the time and effort to go regularly.

Janelle said...

I noticed that burning last time I was there too. And I noticed it was stronger at the Temple than at the regular meetings. I noticed I was smiling a lot. So did the Temple workers, because they kept smiling back. We had a General Authority come and talk about Temple hugs, how if you look for them and wait for them you can feel the Lord thanking you for your service. An interesting thought.

My friend and I are going to do a Temple swap once a month where we trade kids so we can go. Sure, I'd prefer Alex go with me but waiting fot him to have 4 hours at the same time as me could take a lifetime.

Thanks for the great reminder.

bythelbs said...

It always seems like such a hassle to get there, but once I'm there I always want to be. I've never once left the temple thinking, "Well, that was a waste of time."

My goal has always been to go once more time than I did the year before. I think I need to go 3 more times to make that happen this year.

Emily said...

i feel the same way... EVERYtime i go i leave feeling "why don't i do this more?" it seems we find so many reasons not to. silly, but true!

Michele said...

I am glad that you were able to go and then had that feeling of peace and knowledge that you did the right thing. There have been times that I have had that feeling too when I have been at Meeting. I have been thinking about something and someone will be answering my thoughts. It is an awesome experience when you know that HF is so directly touching your life.

shay said...

I agree! I LOVE the temple...gotta go without my hubby most of the time. Your fam will always be blessed. Love the new layout BTW

The Motherboard said...

You inspired me, and I actually went to the temple this weekend. It was the first time I have been in... ahem... almost 3 years. Not because I'm not worthy-- I always have a current recommend-- but because I am a freaking lazy bones.

Thank you, FFM. I needed this post!

flip flop mama said...

Yay! I'm so happy for you motherboard! I hope it was worthwhile. Now maybe we can all inspire each other to get the drive to go.

Melissa said...

I need to go... I'm like you... it's easy to make excuses. Our only babysitter moved and I'm nervous about getting another one because the last one wasn't that great :S