04 August 2008

Camping Recap

Well you all probably think I vanished in a camping black hole but I didn't! I swear, I'm just lazy. We've been home since Saturday afternoon and I'm just getting to this. Life's been busy, I promise what with naps and playing with new gadgets. Things get in the way. :)

Anyway I'm sure you are all sitting on the edge of your seats waiting for my camping recap. I know you are. That's why I'm going to write about everything.

Boogers and I got up to San Ononfre State Beach about 4pm on Thursday and we set up camp...well my brother-in-law Geoff and I set up camp. Geoff & Kristen's site and ours were one away from each other so that was kind of a bummer. The other family that came with us were 3 sites away from us. I think they felt kind of left out and secluded. Boogers didn't waste any time tackling her cousin J and making up on lost time. Those girls love each other. I'm so glad that they are 6 months apart. I hope they stay friends their whole lives.

That night Geoff took the kids down to the beach while me and my sister-in-law, Kristen and I took care of the first of many campfire dining adventures. That night we had chili dog stew in the dutch oven. Can I say yummy? If you love chili dogs like I do this is one heck of a meal. You cut up hot dogs and cook them in the chili. Then you scoop out some of the chili goodness into a bowl and put a torn up bun on top. Pure goodness. T-Bone showed up after work but couldn't spend the night. After he left we stayed up and talked that night and just hung around...not too much to report that night.

On Friday we all packed up pretty early and headed out to the beach. I guess it wasn't that early--more like 10:30. The beaches near the campgrounds were not super child friendly and it was a serious hike down to them so we drove up to San Clemente. OC beaches are beautiful and San Clemente is no exception. We brought G&K's big shade cover so while the chillins played in the surf the adults stayed cool in the shade. I got some fun pics of the kids playing at the beach but don't want to post them since I don't think my brother-in-law and sister-in-law want their children's faces on the internet. We stayed there most of the day and then headed back to camp. I will leave you with my beautiful Boogers though.

I took it upon myself to be the fire master during this weekend trip. I had some pallets from my Dad and I spent most of my free time hacking away at them for firewood. I have to say it was hard work, but exhilarating. I actually enjoyed myself. I mean who doesn't like destroying stuff, right? But this at least was productive destruction. So once we got back and I showered in the wonderful, cold outdoor showers I took my hammer and started hacking again. Friday night's culinary delight was a chicken and rice casserole thing, also cooked in the dutch oven. That was really good too. T-Bone got off work early so he showed up at about 4:30 so it was nice to have him around.

Friday night Boogers was totally wasted and couldn't wait to get to bed. At about 8 I told her to get her jammies on and she couldn't have been more happy. Later that night the people who had the site between us and G&K showed up. They had the site on the other side of us so we offered to switch. I was kind of worried about moving camp since Boogers was asleep in the tent but we did it anyway. She was so wasted she didn't even move when we dragged the tent 20 feet. That was one tired girl!

By Saturday morning everyone was pretty wasted so we broke camp pretty early. I was looking forward to spending another day at the beach--maybe a little farther south--but the others couldn't wait to go home. We had orange peel muffins and scrambled eggs that morning and those were really good too. We were dirty and tired so it was nice to get home and shower. Boogers was so tired from the weekend she went to bed at 6:15pm and slept until 6:45 on Sunday morning.

All in all it was a fun camping trip. San Onofre doesn't have very many facilities as far as beach camping goes so I don't think I'll ever camp there again. It didn't have very accessible water spickets and only chemical toilets and cold showers. It would have been nice to be cleaner. It was also quite a bummer that the beach was so far away. I mean what's the fun of beach camping if you can't just go down to the beach whenever you feel like it. You couldn't even see the ocean from the bluffs, just bushes. Next time we're going to South Carlsbad.

6 comments:

Susan M said...

Is that Geoff and Kristin of New Cool Thang? I'm trying to place where that camping spot is at and can't do it. San Clemente is pretty, though.

flip flop mama said...

Susan, yes it is. Geoff and my husband are brothers. San Onofre is just north of Camp Pendleton right next to the power plant sometimes referred to as "Mother Earth" or the "Dolly Parton Memorial" as my family calls it.

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

Wow, that sounds like fun. I would've been like Boogers, sleeping all night once I got back to my bed. :) I've never been beach camping before, that would be cool.

Melissa said...

So fun! I would love to take the family camping on the beach sometime! It sounds like you had a fun, yet exhausting time :D

Jen said...

Sounds like fun :)

bythelbs said...

Sounds like fun. Glad you had such a good time!

I would have no idea what to do with a dutch oven. I think I might possibly enjoy the chopping wood thing, though.