18 August 2008

The Conference Trip-Part 2

This is Part 2 of the story of how T-Bone and I came to be in celebration
of our 6th Anniversary yesterday
(To see part 1, click here)

After my Dad and I had our heart to heart, what he said felt right. I decided to see what I could do about finding a job. This was around the second week in September of 2001. I majored in Exercise and Sport Science at BYU-H but didn't think I would find any work in that field--that wasn't a 24 Hour Fitness Trainer--so I broadened my searches. I looked on-line and found a Customer Service job that looked like a good fit. I went in for an interview and they asked me to start the next week. It couldn't have been more meant to be.

I feel really bad about this but I totally bailed on the nanny job. I really left them high and dry but I had a job! Totally lame of me and not something I ever want to do again. Since I had a job--and it was 30 miles away from home--I needed a car, right? Oh yes. I was so excited to go car shopping. I drove a beater Toyota truck in High School and loved it, so that's what I was looking for. I was a truck girl. I looked on line and found a dealership that had a used truck I wanted to look at. My parents and I drove to El Cajon and started looking around. They didn't have the truck that their site said they had though. I ended up looking at the new 2002 Tacomas they had on the lot. They were having a sale and they weren't too expensive.

I left later that night with a brand new 2002 Silver Toyota Tacoma totally in my budget with 6 miles on it. Boy was I thrilled driving home! Did I mention it was my birthday that day too?? Yeah that was the sweetest birthday present I've ever given myself.

I started my new job on Monday and I was feeling spiffy. Conference was coming up that next weekend and I was really excited to go too. T-Bone had a few friends that said they were going to come so it was going to be a fun car ride up there. Thursday night came around and everyone bailed. It was just going to be me and T-Bone.

I had thought that he was pretty cute and wouldn't mind getting to know him better--maybe even dating him. Later when we talked about it he said those thoughts never occurred to him. Total guy. Or maybe I was just more of a flirt than I should have been.

We ended up taking my sweet new ride since it was better than his uncomfortable Acura Integra with loud exhaust.

I went to work that Friday and then picked him up on the way around 8pm. We drove--or I should say I drove. I was having a hard time letting someones else drive my new truck--all through the night, stopping only for gas and then for food in Vegas. By this time it was probably 1 o'clock in the morning and we had talked and talked non stop for the last 5 hours. I had never felt so comfortable talking to someone before and having so much fun talking to someone before.

When we left In N Out in Vegas we spontaneously broke out into a duet of "Part of Your World" from The Little Mermaid. I grew up singing this song and little did I know that was one of T-Bone's favorite movies. When the song finished we just looked at each other and said, "Did that just happen?" This was also about the time when T-Bone felt comfortable drinking my drink. I still wouldn't let him drive my new truck but he thought we had progressed in our "relationship" to be able to share my Barqs Root Beer. I couldn't believe he had done that. I'm not one to share drinks so liberally.

I don't remember much more of the drive up to Salt Lake except that we talked all night long. I usually fall asleep driving but we kept each other awake the whole night. I think we got to Salt Lake around 5 in the morning.

Okay enough for now....to be continued...

8 comments:

bythelbs said...

You shared a straw on your first date?! You brazen hussy!

flip flop mama said...

So true, bythelbs, so true. I was SO not about sharing straws, but T-Bone just went for it. LOL btw I love the word hussy...

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

Keep it coming, I love this story.

Cheryl said...

Oooh! Talking all night, sharing the straw...when does he hold your hand!? I know that's gotta be comin' next. Not that I would know from experience... (whistling and looking away)

I hate I have to describe that I was whistling and looking away. Such is the blogging world. *sigh

Cheryl said...

P.S. I gave you a blogging award on my blog...

Michele said...

lol about sharing your drink. I wouldn't have liked that much either. Although as bowled over by this guy as I would have been I might not have noticed too much. I can't wait to hear what is next.

Summer said...

I just got caught up on this. How fun thus far!

Melissa said...

What a great story!! I'm gonna ask you for the ending tomorrow if you haven't already posted it! Woohoo!!