17 August 2008

How we met

T-Bone and I were married 6 years ago today. I thought it would be fun to write down the story from the beginning...

It was back in 2001. I had just graduated from BYU-Hawaii and moved back home with my parents. My tentative future plans included working at whatever job I could find during the summer, then go on a mission when I had some money left over. I found a job nannying for a family near our house; they had two little boys. It was fun but not something I wanted to do for too long. I was just saving up money after all. I turned 23 that year so I was already a little older than most sister missionaries.

I wasn't really doing much with my life except going to work and the single's activities. That summer was fun. I made some great friends and fell into my niche socially.

The first time T-Bone and I did anything together was in August. A common friend of ours was going back home to Scotland. She had spent a couple months with a relative but had to go home. To send her off a bunch of us went downtown to the Spaghetti Factory. After dinner we walked around downtown. We separated into little groups and walked past a group of Hare Krishna's. I just glanced at them and noticed they were doing their chanting thing. (I'm pretty sure T-Bone and I were in the same little group at that point) We walked on and kept chatting about who knows what. A few blocks down the road I realized I could still hear their chanting. I turned around and the Krishna's were right on our heels. Not sure why they were following us.

The next time I remember doing something wit T-Bone we went to San Diego's Street Scene. If you want a fun concert experience, come down to Street Scene. They close off a bunch of blocks down town and set stages everywhere. So many bands play and it is just amazing. Wall to wall people and reeking of beer, but fun no less. There were 5 or 6 of us--I can't remember--and I rode in T-Bone's car with my friend and his friend. It wasn't a date or anything we just all carpooled. It was the first time I got carded--I was pretty excited about that. It also was my first "real" concert.

Once we got in to Street Scene my friend Bryn and I got separated from the guys and we barely saw them the rest of the night. I remember trying to find them again but you can't hear cell phones there and it was just a maze of streets. We saw Counting Crows and Jack Johnson up close and then some other bands I can't remember. Anyway this is about me and T-Bone.

It was that night that T-Bone mentioned that he was going to go to General Conference in a month. I quickly reserved a place in his car because I had never been and with my flexible schedule I knew that this would be a chance I might not have again. T-Bone went every year with a group of friends and I knew if I didn't reserve my spot I might not have one.

We became better friends over the next month or so leading up to conference. I also made some very important life changes. Nannying wasn't really making the money for me plus the boys had gone back to school so I was only working 4 hours a day. So one day, my Dad and I had a heart to heart about my future. He asked me why I wanted to go on on a mission. I told him that I felt like I had been so blessed in life and I wanted to give that back to Heavenly Father. I wanted to serve because I had a testimony. I'm pretty sure he was inspired to say what he said next.

He told me that he thought it would be best if I kind of put the mission idea on hold for a little while. He thought I should look for full-time work. I had wanted to get a "real" job for a while but didn't want to just work for a few months before quitting to go on a mission. He said that after a few months I could revisit the idea of a mission to see if that was what I really wanted to do.

to be continued...

10 comments:

Shelley said...

OOOoooOoo a cliff-hanger! Actually, I remember you saying you drove up to General Conference with him. :) I thought it was so so cute! ;)

Cheryl said...

Wha? Where's the rest of the story? I love this story!

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! Six years is forever, man. Okay, I'm kidding, but I remember how odd it was once you got past the 5 year mark. Somehow, it felt so...long? Real? Surreal? But good, nonetheless. :)

S'mee said...

Congratulations! Can't wait to hear the rest of the story!

Jen said...

Funny how things have a way of working themselves out . . .

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

Don't leave me hangin'! Hee hee
I'm loving the story, and can't wait to hear more.

BTW, I love the Counting Crows, that's awesome that you saw them live!

Kristen said...

What happens next!?! I can't stand the suspense!!!

Michele said...

Belated Happy Anniversary.
I love stories too. This is a good one :). Don't keep us waiting too long. BTW when I graduated I had similar thoughts to you except not exactly. I knew I wanted a job but I also wanted to live in another country/experience another culture. But enough about me. I want to hear more about you and t-bone.

FluffyChicky said...

Hey, my wedding anniversary is August 17th too! The husband and I have been married for 8 years now. Funny, it doesn't seem like that long. :) Congratulations!

David said...

Glad I could make your blog. I remember the conversation like yesterday, only one thing to add. I told you there were other ways you could show gratitude for your blessings besides serving a mission.
Love
Dad

Melissa said...

I had a really similar experience. I finished Ricks (it was still Ricks way back then) and was getting ready to apply to other schools. My mom convinced me to hold off a bit :)
I'm off to read part two :D