13 October 2008

Standing For Something

A few months ago we learned that judges in California had overturned Prop 22 that was passed by a majority vote back in 2000. This Proposition stated that California will only recognize marriage as being between a man a woman. Due to activist judges this is not the case anymore.

I believe that marriage is only to be between a man and a woman and I am taking a stand on this. When I first heard that my church asked us to take a stand on this issue, I wasn't sure how I felt. I thought that it wouldn't really affect me all that much. Then I decided that if the Prophet asked me to help then I would. I have a testimony that the Prophet is divinely called and can see repercussions that we would not otherwise see.

I also believe that marriage is a divine institution that deserves to be protected.

Then I started to read up on the issue. Here are some basic points from PreservingMarriage.org:
  • Having tolerance without condoning.

    We can love someone while still maintaining and advocating our standards and beliefs.
  • Unless Proposition 8 passes, California society will soon undergo a profound change in its basic understanding of marriage and family life.

    That will affect everyone in numerous ways. Over time, greater acceptance of nontraditional marriage will be demanded of all people. This could impact the ability of any religion to teach and practice its beliefs.
  • Proposition 8 will not hurt gays.

    In California, the law provides for marriage-related benefits to be given to civil unions and domestic partnerships. Proposition 8 does not diminish these benefits.
  • Failure to pass Proposition 8 will hurt children.

    If gay marriage remains legal, public schools will put it on equal footing with traditional marriage. Children will likely receive “age appropriate” information about sexual relations within heterosexual and homosexual marriages.
  • Failure to pass Proposition 8 will hurt churches.

    The court’s decision will inevitably lead to conflicts with religious liberty and free speech rights. Society will become more and more hostile to traditional beliefs about marriage and family.
Things are already changing. A first grade class took a field trip to a homosexual wedding in San Fransisco already. Umm, we never went on a field trip to a heterosexual wedding. The schools have no business doing this. I want to be able to teach my children what is right and wrong without them being confused by what is taught at school. I don't know everything that will happen if this proposition doesn't pass but I do know that it is important.

We have the opportunity as voters in California to make sure that activist judges don't represent California's residents and that our rights will be protected. Please vote yes on Proposition 8 in November and protect marriage and our families. Our future is at stake.



Here are some links to look at for reference:
Preserving Marriage
Protect Marriage

8 comments:

Melissa said...

I had a hard time blogging about this too :) I love how you put things and you used a video that I hadn't seen before!! I too will be voting YES in November.

shay said...

well, said, Jamie. I planned on posting about this later this week as well. It is startling how things can change so drastically and historically what CA does, the rest of the nation follows....scary ramifications. I love it that there's half a dozen or so protect marriage yard signs in our neighborhood.

Leslie said...

Way to stand up for such an important issue! Thank you for adding your voice to this issue!!!

ms. lee of the lemon drops said...

way to stand up. thank you.

Defining marriage as between one man and one woman is not taking away anyone's rights. The definition simply distinguishes a union that is biologically capable of producing its own children. Whether a married couple has children or not, I feel like this deserves a separate name--even the potential is kind of a miracle.

Actually this definition can be seen as the ultimate expression of equality our society has to offer: it takes one man and one woman. One could see a lesbian union as a marginalization of men, or a homosexual union as a marginalization of women.

Equality is especially important when it comes to raising children. Children deserve/need a father and a mother. Neither parent should be marginalized.

Yes, many children are already growing up in single-parent homes. Prop 8 should be a reminder to everyone that as a society we need to assist and strengthen families as much as possible. Really, as a society we should be most concerned with the success and health of our families.

http://emiliadelmar.blogspot.com/2008/10/legislation-and-social-issues.html

peace out.

Mc Allen said...

My name is Leah Allen and I happend upon your blog while boppin arount the net. I want you to know that I couldnt have said this better myself. I am a christian homeschoolin mom of 4 girls and wife. I am also the sister of a gay man who has had a burdon of homosexualality for over half his life. Its somthing that I really wrestle with because I know what the truth of Gods word says, and I know its the inherent word of God, however I know that my brother didnt choose this life, he has been attacked by this spirit since he was very young. He and his mate desire to marry , so I tell him lovingly what Gods word says and then I pray.It is an issue that is very close to my heart, and I deeply I regret this law being overturned. I enjoy reading your blog and would like to put your link on my blog but wish to know if that would be ok.. Feel free to visit mine@ 5girls1boy.blogspot.com Thanks , Leah

flip flop mama said...

ms. lee of the lemon drops and mc allen, thanks for stopping by my blog and giving your support. We really appreciate it!

staceygirl said...

Like my mom reminded me, we are Saturday's warriors, and if we don't stand up for what's right, who will? We are making decisions about the society that our children will live in. We are protecting the rights of children now and in the future. Let opponents call us names and try to make us feel like haters if we don't accept their views. We will not waver!

JustRandi said...

You go, girl! I completely agree with you.