23 December 2008

Things I've learned the last two months

So rember this post? Well there was a reason I didn't feel all bloggy for a couple months. I was sick, sick, sick. Sick with what you ask? Morning sickness. I threw up every day for a few weeks and if I wasn't throwing up I was doing everything I could not to throw up.

Yes I'm pregnant again. Can you believe it?

Most days I can't.

I still look at myself and that little baby bump and think I'm just getting fat. (Until my last appointment and my midwife said my uterus was at my belly button. I guess there really is a baby in there. Who knew? Oh I'll be 18 weeks tomorrow, due the end of May)

Ironically I found out a week or so before this post. Even thought I knew I was pregnant at the time I wrote it, the post was still very important to me because I still have to have hope. Getting pregnant is not my challenge anymore, staying pregnant is. I still have hope that we will add to our family. Posting this is of itself a leap of faith since I lost my previous two pregnancies two weeks after announcing it to blog land. I'm pregnant today though and my mantra this time around has been "Pregnant until proven otherwise."

So since it's been so long since I've made it this far into a pregnancy I wanted to put down some things that I've learned this time around.

1. Throwing up scrambled eggs and popcorn (not necessarily together) has to be one of the nastiest things there is.
2. I could never be bulimic. I hate throwing up non-digested food. It just plain hurts.
3. Nothing tastes better coming back up despite what some people have claimed.
4. Feeling the baby kick can bring immeasurable joy--especially if it's been a few hours since you last felt it.
5. Even if you are going to the doctor every two weeks to have ultra sounds it's still too long to wait.
6. I will never get tired of seeing the ultra sound picture of our baby on the fridge every day. That in itself gives me hope.
7. Sometimes you do crazy things like kiss your fingers and touch those ultra sound pictures just because you are so grateful for what you are given.
8. The first 8 or 9 weeks go by really fast, but 9 through 15 take for.ever.
9. Prayers can bring about miracles
10. Morning sickness doesn't end when you get into the second trimester
and lastly 11. No matter what Billy Madison says, peeing your pants (while throwing up, sneezing, coughing--you fill in the blank) is never cool.

One thing I haven't learned yet though is with just barely half of the pregnancy behind me, how I can love this little person so much already.

Thank you so much for your prayers and support when I've needed them. My "real life" friends and my "internet" friends have both been immeasurable supports and I'm truly grateful for you all.

Merry Christmas!

33 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm so happy for you! Fingers and toes are crossed and prayers are being said!
On a totally unrelated note... I haven't started a new game on Facebook because I wasn't sure how you were feeling or how busy you were right now! Whenever you're feeling up to it, I'm game :)

flip flop mama said...

I'm always on Facebook so I'd love to play again!

Susan M said...

Congratulations! Hope the sickness doesn't last the whole time.

Julie P said...

FABULOUS! I am overjoyed for you!

Brooke said...

Oh hooray! I'm so extremely happy for you. I actually suspected it seeing your pictures on Facebook...but I wasn't gonna ask. You are naturally so thin and that little low bump was making me curious. =)

Julie said...

What totally fantastic news! Congratulations. I'll be thinking of you often!

S'mee said...

Well Merry Christmas indeed!

Take care of both of you and know that our prayers are there to help sustain you!

eeeeeeeeee! I am very excited!

Marcie said...

I was wondering and I am very happy for you and your family. :)

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

Yay! :) You're in my prayers.

Jen said...

It is a huge step to make that announcement. I'm still so happy for you and look forward to every update. Your journey has brought me so much hope. (((HUGS)))

Wendy said...

I have continued to pray for you and your baby! I am so glad everything is going well. HUGS!

Maile Fano said...

It is sooooo good to see that this news is posted now. I have waited ever since the time you told me. I continue to think about you and hope all goes well.

Carrie said...

I thought you were pregnant! I saw your pictures on Facebook and your tummy was looking like pregnant tummy, but of course I didn't dare ask. I had a person ask me when I was NOT pregnant...just fat!! I knew I was pregnant with Bruce when I threw up my scrambled eggs one morning...not fun!! Good luck and I am soooo excited for you and your family!

Katie Harding said...

Congrats!!! We will keep you in our prayers! Morning sickness is always a good sign. just remember that as you lean over the toilet!

Sharon said...

Hugs and all our prayers will be with you! I hope the morning sickness lightens up, but if it doesn't, just take good care of yourself!

Summer said...

Congratulations Jamie! I hope the baby keeps growing well and that you get feeling better.

. said...

Jamie...i can't tell you how happy i am for you. i can't even begin to imagine what it's been like for you -- matt and i will keep you in our prayers. thank you for sharing this happy news...people have been talking for a few weeks now wondering if you're pregnant too :).

we love you guys!

Shelley said...

NO FREAKING WONDER you looked so glowy in November when I saw you! Oh Congratulations Jamie! I'm so so so happy for you guys! Take it easy and keep us all posted! Merry Christmas!!!

Kim said...

Hey Mama, I am so excited for you guys. We have been speculating for a while, but didn't want to say anything. I'm with you, morning sickness is no fun!!

flip flop mama said...

Thank you all so much for your kind words and prayers. They mean SO much!

madhousewife said...

Congratulations! Here's to no more throwing up.

wholarmor said...

Congratulations! Here's to a happy and healthy rest of your pregnancy! And I'm so with you on the things you've learned!

David and Jessi said...

Congratulations! We are so happy for you...a wonderful way to start the new year.

Lacey said...

wow 23 comments, you must be popular! well i'm pround of you and excited to find out what your having! cause it is when not if! love ya, lacey

shay said...

Jamie! Congrats! I was wondering, but I couldn't say anything because that subject is so sensitive! But I'm so very happy for you! How far along?

shay said...

okay, got it 2nd time around..18 weeks! wow! Way to go--keep on going! When is your ultrasound to find out if you're going pink...or blue!

flip flop mama said...

Shay, we will find out a week from today!

Cynthia said...

I'm so excited for you!

I remember counting the weeks till we got to 24 so anxiously with the twins. It took 3.5 years and many thousands of dollars to get pg and I was so relieved to hit that 'edge of viability' stage.

I pray that all continues to go well for you and that maybe the morning sickness will ease up a little!

Congrats again.

Emily said...

Congrats!!! I'm jealous! (well, not of the sickness and stuff... but we all know that it's worth it!!!)

bythelbs said...

Aw, man, I missed the big announcement! That'll teach me to drop of the face of the blogging earth.

Congratulations, again! Hope you're feeling better.

The Potter Family said...

I'm so happy for you and Spencer. You're a great mom and wife. I am only 9 weeks along and am going to stop feeling sorry for myself because I don't even throw up! (even tho I constantly feel like I'm going to). I will keep checking in to see how you're doing! Hey do you remember Derrick Gonzales and his wife? They just moved into my ward. Memories of the Poway singles ward!
love Rene

kjehansen said...

I am so glad that you were sick :) Sickness means good news! Thanks for coming over today and for being a great friend! I can't wait to find out what you are having.

Michele said...

I am so slow at reading this but just had to tell you that you always bring out the tears in me. I am so happy for you. (I think you know that, but...)Thanks for sharing all your thoughts and stuff.