03 February 2009

Mosquitos Bite

Last Monday we went hiking while we were in Hawaii. T-Bone and I both had pants on but Boogers wore a skirt. I didn't think twice about it but boy do I regret it now. This is how her legs look today

She has over 40 mosquito bites. Last week they looked fine, just the normal red bumps, but she can't stop scratching them. I've tried Benedryl, Cortizone, Calamine and even antiseptic cream with gauze but nothing works. I can't get her to stop scratching them. Because she has scratched them so much they are now open and scabby. Gross. We are going to the doctor tonight to see if she needs antibiotics.

The hike was gorgeous and breath taking though. It was Hau'ula Loop Trail through the pine forest. However, the mosquitoes were swarming. I have never seen so many in my life. As soon as we got into the forest we saw them all around us and we spent the better part of 2 hours swatting at them and keeping them off our skin. I thought I was doing a good job of keeping them off Boogers, but they were 2 steps ahead of us. Here are some pictures of the hike.


The hike was supposed to take about an hour and a half but it ended up taking us over 2 hours. With a 4 year old, a 6 month pregnant mom and a 30 year old getting over a cold dad, it's a miracle we made it back alive! We couldn't really stop to rest much since the mosquitoes would attack us as soon as we stopped.

Oh yeah and true to Booger's form she never stopped talking for 2 hours. It's amazing how many words can come our of a 4 year old's mouth. We love her even though she talks our ears off and asks the same questions over and over and over!

10 comments:

S'mee said...

That poor little thing! I remember those nasty little dive bombers when we were there too - horrid! I hope she feels better soon.

(I have to tell you that NONE of the time tables held for us there, we were too too interested to just drive the island in 3 hours, hike this place in 2, or gab a shot and pop back in the car to the next destination...we just seemed to linger everywhere!)

Cheryl said...

Oh, her poor legs! I hope it gets better soon...

I adore Hawaii. Love it. Hate the mosquitos, but that's about the only pest (besides the roosters/chickens wandering around Kauai). So glad you got to go back for a great week!

shay said...

wow...I feel itchy just looking at her poor little legs!

Jen said...

Poor Boogers! That looks extremely uncomfortable.

bythelbs said...

Beautiful pics. Except for that first one. Nasty! Hope her sweet little legs recover quickly!

Amanda D said...

Her legs make me want to scratch my legs! Beautiful pictures, though. Wish I had been to Hawaii too!

Staceygirl said...

Her legs look like my kids' legs did when we were in Texas. Russ is a mosquito magnet. We decided to attempt a hike near this alligator swamp in Texas, and right when we started down the trail, about 10 of them flocked to his leg. Nasty! They don't seem to like me much. The lush greenery in your photos makes me miss Hawaii.

Shelley~Maren said...

Have you tried Benadryl? or Claritin? Poor boogers! Other than that... I LOVE the pictures! You did good. :)

Makes me soooo homesick though! :( But I'm glad you had so much fun!

flip flop mama said...

Shelley, we've tried everything. the Benedryl didn't really work and so on Monday we went to the dr. She's on a steroid for the allergic reaction and then basically a prescription form of benedryl at night to help the itching and help her sleep. So far it seems to be working. **Crossing my fingers**

Melissa said...

Oh my holy ouch!! I hate mosquito bites... that looks so painful :(