17 June 2009

The iPhone really can do everything

I totally forgot to put in Sean's birth story one of the best parts...how he got his name. T-Bone and I had talked of many names like all expecting parents do. We had our preliminary list that we narrowed down to a few. We knew we wanted either Spencer or James as a middle name though so that was the easy part. When we went to the hospital our front runners for names were Adam and Ryan and a few others. After he was born everyone asked what his name was but we couldn't decide. T-Bone went home that first night to be with Boogers and I hoped when he came back the next day that both of us would have decided on our own what his name would be and it would be the same one.
Well the next day came and T-Bone came back to the hospital. He was no closer to deciding on a name than I was. We practiced calling the baby the names on our list. The one we like best was Adam and I even told a few people that's what his name was most likely going to be. But it wasn't right. Neither T-Bone or I were totally sold on it. So T-Bone decided he was just going to open up his contacts on his iPhone and start reading names. He read a few and they weren't right. Nothing was fitting this new little person in our family.
Then he said Sean.
I looked at my baby and it fit better that anything we had. I said to T-Bone "Hmm I like Sean." He did too. He kept reading names and once again nothing felt right...until he came to another Sean. It was like a weight was lifted every time I called him Sean. All the other names felt weird but when we said Sean it just felt good. The strange thing was Sean was never on any of our lists. We both looked at each other and said "Yep, that's his name." I preferred the Gaelic spelling so that's what it is. So there you have it. The iPhone really can do everything...including naming your day old son.

9 comments:

Jen said...

I think Sean is the perfect name for your little guy.

Julie P said...

I love that story - it will be fun to tell him when he gets older!

Shellybythesea said...

He definitely is Sean James. It's perfect and when you told me I knew it too! He's a gem!!!

Shellybythesea said...

And Rachel is a beautiful name for my granddaughter too! Rachel and Sean......it works!!!!

Julie said...

Yet another reason I heart the iPhone.

I've also always loved the Gaelic spelling of that name, although I didn't ever know it was Gaelic.

Melissa said...

That's awesome! What a great story :)
Now I need to get an iPhone... not that I'm going to be naming a baby ANYTIME soon, but still :)

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

Such a cool story!

Susan M said...

That is a great story. Great name, too. John in Irish. :)

Callie said...

What a great story!