20 July 2009

25 minutes of agony

So Monday is laundry day around the Flip household. Because we live in a lovely apartment I have the privilege of lugging 4-5 loads of laundry over to the laundry mat once a week. Luckily I have a little cart that helps me. Once I have the clothes in my handy cart I usually put the quarters, my keys, the detergent and my cell phone on top.

This morning I did just that.

I did three loads at first--because that's about as much as the cart and a basket on top can handle--put in the quarters and detergent and pressed the start button. As I was gathering my keys and quarters up to go back home and get the rest of the clothes I realized I didn't have my cell phone. Panic set in as I pulled open the front loading washers before they had a chance to fill too much and lock and dug through the clothes where I thought my phone might be. I couldn't find it in the washer. I racked my brain, "Did I bring my phone? Did I leave it on the couch? It must be on the couch. Maybe I didn't bring it." So I reselected the cycle and with a hopeful heart headed home to try to find my phone.

Now people, I have an iPhone. A new iPhone. You know, the ones that just came out last month? Yeah, that one. T-Bone and I sold our first generation 2G iPhones for not much less than we paid for the new ones. It was a good deal. I love my phone.

Of course when I got home, the phone was no where to be found. My heart sunk. The front loaders at the laundry mat lock after 2 minutes so it was stuck in there for the remainder of the cycle. I gathered the rest of the clothes and headed back. There was 15 minutes left of the cycle and with agony I watched as all 15 minutes counted down. With every clunk and clank the washer made I cringed knowing that could possibly be my phone making that noise.

Finally the cycle ended and the moment of truth arrived. Sure enough when I opened the washer there was my phone with the cool red cover in puddle of water. I fished it out and hurried home to search on the Internet how to resurrect a drowned phone. I remembered reading on Janelle's blog about rice and my husband and Dad have said in the past the worst thing you can do is turn it on until it's dry. So my phone is sitting in a big bag of rice courtesy of my friend and you can bet I won't be turning that sucker on for two days so it can dry out completely. There are many positive posts on blogs all over the Internet about their cell phone coming back to life after a trip through the washing machine so I hope I can add mine to them too. I'll keep you posted...

Is it sacrilegious to pray for a cell phone to come back to life?

15 comments:

Julie said...

I'm hyperventilating for you over here. I hope the rice works!!!!

Lacey said...

ahhhhh i hate things like that , so frustrating, i hope it comes back to life! we are gonna go to the movie tomorrow if you want to find a phone and call me! maybe we can meet up.

Shellybythesea said...

I washed your dad's in the machine and then dried it in the dryer....so next day...sure enough it came back to life!!! You could use a blow dryer too to get things moving a bit.

Sam said...

hey we both had cell phone problems this week! hope it comes back to life!

Carrie said...

Oh I am sooo sorry!! I hope the rice works...sounds like it would to me!

Callie said...

Hoping your phone is resurrected!

Susan M said...

Oh no! Crossing my fingers for you...

bythelbs said...

Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you!

And pray away, woman. Pray away!

Jen said...

I have everything I can cross, crossed for you. Good luck!

Janelle said...

Keep us posted on the outcome! I'm interested to hear if the rice works.

I will tell you though that anytime the iphone gets hit with the tiniest bit of water the warranty is void. My sister had never dropped her phone into water but it is possible her son drooled on it and when the button stopped working (completely unrelated to possible drool) they called her phone "comprimised" and therefore her warranty was void. There is a white material inside the phone that turns pink as soon as water touches it. So if it is pink the iphone repairmen won't fix any warranty problems because the phone has been "compromised."

But if you look on craigslist there are a lot of people who advertise that they can fix iphones.

Alison Wonderland said...

Not sacreligious at all. In fact I'll join you.

bythelbs said...

So? What's the prognosis? Will it live?

flip flop mama said...

I don't know yet. I turned it on today and it turned on and I made a call so that's good. But it turned off after a minute or so. It wouldn't turn on at first so I plugged it in and it turned on so I'm hoping it just needs a battery charge. It's still a little wet under the screen so I put it back in the rice. I hope the battery was just shocked and once it gets charged again, it will work. We'll see. I think I'm going to charge it tomorrow. For now it's still off and unplugged.

bythelbs said...

OK, I'll keep everything crossed still then.

Staceygirl said...

I've heard lots of stories like that with happy endings, so I bet it will work. Good luck!

PS - Just don't let your kids' crayons get in the dryer. That's happened to me twice... ugh!!