12 July 2009

Blessings

Today we are blessing our sweet baby boy. Some family has come into town and we have them and dear friends to share this day with us. Because of this event I've been thinking a lot about how we've been blessed over the last couple years.

We've had our trials but in a way I'm grateful for them. I know that Heavenly Father loves me and that he wants to bless me. Sometimes life doesn't work out the way we want but through these trials I have learned so much.

I've learned to rely on the Lord. I've learned that I can pray and actually communicate with my Heavenly Father instead of it just being a one way phone line. I've learned that He knows me individually. He knows my needs and wants and he knows that I'm stronger than I think I
am. I have prayed many a time--especially while I was pregnant--to help me to feel better, to take the pail away (be it emotional or physical). But if that couldn't happen then that I would have the strength to endure; that I would be able to make it the the day. And you know what? I did. I'm still here. The pain didn't go away but I believed that HF either knew I could handle it or he gave me the ability to handle it.

I've learned that life doesn't always work out the way you want but when it does life can be beautiful. The challenges don't go away completely when you finally get what you want--who am I kidding? I'll have more challenges for many years to come now that I have another kid--but I think I have a renewed sense of diligence and determination to do what I know I'm supposed to.

Our son has brought so much joy to our family. It's weird to think he's been alive for almost 7 weeks now but at the same time it's like we've always had him. I have so much to be thankful for on this day. Buckethead will be getting a blessing from his father but I am the one who has truly been blessed.

11 comments:

Alison Wonderland said...

Yay for Buckethead!

I can't help but just find it a little funny that you wrote this tender moving post and then at the end you had to refer to him as Buckethead (I know that's just for here but I think it's funny).

flip flop mama said...

You know Alison I thought the same thing this morning as I was writing this. That's why I didn't use Buckethead at all through the post but I couldn't get around it at the end. I might have to get a new nickname for him, I have a hard time calling him that.

Jen said...

I'm so happy for you. I hope your day was nice.

Cynthia said...

Yeah for cute little Buckethead! I hope all went well today. What a blessing it is to have a Father who is worthy to give that special blessing to his child.

And I especially love the name you chose. 'Buckethead' is darling! LOL!

Staceygirl said...

Sorry we couldn't make it. I try to be at as many family events as I can, but I have to accept that it's not always possible when my family is spread across 3 states. I'm glad you had others around you to make the day special. Thanks for sharing your testimony. It's cool and yet mind-boggling to think that Heavenly Father can know each one of us. And yet, we are all His children, so it makes sense.

Sharon said...

And the name by which he shall be known in the records of the church is... Buckethead...! Just kidding. Congratulations on the special day and I'm so glad you can feel that love and support when you need it. Moms really do need that support!

Shelley~Maren said...

Beautiful Post Jamie. It's so very true too. The older I get, and the more I struggle (on my own) the more I'm finding I wouldn't have to struggle as much if I just swallowed my pride and asked Him for a little help ya know? However life is supposed to work itself out, I'm sure He's the only one who knows right now, and as much as I wish I knew how it will work itself out, I know that I'm in good hands at least. :)

Congrats to your Little Man!

bythelbs said...

I love these moments. I need more of these--not more blessings, but more times when I recognize them.

I kind of think Buckethead needs a new nickname too. :)

Susan M said...

I was telling my kids that you call your son Buckethead on your blog. They're huge Buckethead fans.

Really lovely post too.

KTE Johnston said...

Congratulations Jamie and Spencer, Sorry we were in Idaho for the blessing but we still want to try and hang out before we have to leave...is there a time that works for you guys? Maybe if you want to escape this heat if you wanted to come for a swim and some dinner or lunch one day that would work for us? Just let me know...Lots a love, KT

Callie said...

Very well said! Blessings!