18 December 2009

Real Life Crocheting Help



Hey all you crafty ladies out there I need some help. So at the beginning of this week I decided I was going to learn how to crochet. (Why do I always want to say crochety when I read that--like a crochety old lady? Anyway, moving on...) I found some videos on line and got some hooks. I have the basics down like the chain, single crochet and double crochet. I'm starting to get familiar with patterns, but they are still a lot of gibberish but I think I'm making headway.

What I am not making headway with is making my projects square! I cannot seem to figure out how to end each row so that it's straight. I've looked on line and there aren't really any "tip" sites about crochet, just info on how to do the basic stitches. So can anyone help me? What do I need to know when I'm ending a row so that it looks straight. Oh I should say I can make a square when it is just single crochet, but this pattern I've been doing is a little different. This is what it looks like so far....

Nothing like the picture.
Help!

5 comments:

Sharon said...

*Disclaimer* I am not a crochet expert by any means, but I am pretty sure that you have to add chains at the end of the row, so I looked this up and here is a rather lengthy dissertation on it -

"Stitches in crochet come in varying heights. When you begin a row of any stitch, you will be starting at the base of the row. In order to come up to the height of the stitch you will be working, you must start with a chain that is the same height as the stitches in the row you are working. This chain is called the turning chain. It can be worked before or after turning your work.

Single crochet: one chain
Half double crochet: two chains
Double crochet: three chains
Triple crochet: four chains

Usually, the turning chain at the beginning of the row, takes the place of the first stitch of the row. So, after working the turning chain, you will not work another stitch in the first stitch. And when you come to the end of the row, you will treat the turning chain as a stitch and work in it. For the single crochet, the rules change. The turning chain worked at the beginning of a single crochet row does not count as a stitch. After working the turning chain, you will also work a single crochet in the stitch below the turning chain. You will not work in the turning chain on the return row.

flip flop mama said...

Thanks Sharon. I'm doing the chain at the end but I'm not sure where to pick it up at the end of the row I guess. That's where I know I'm missing or making too many stitches.

knitkumpoop said...

Maybe you should come and hang out here for Christmas.

I do know that getting the rows straight is the trickiest part of crochet. Looking at the square you crocheted, I think you're doing really well.

I'm going to call you!

madhousewife said...

It looks like you dropped stitches in the rows w/o the cluster stitch ("Row 3"). You start out making twelve dc's but by the end you're only making eleven. Maybe you aren't going all the way to the end of the row. It's kind of tricky at the ends to know exactly where the last stitch goes. Just make sure you've got the same number of dc's in each Row 3.

That was probably not helpful, but at least I can pretend I tried. :)

Bear in mind, though, that it's probably not going to look very neat & square until you put the edging on (which is why they have you do stuff like edging).

For someone who is teaching herself, you are doing really well, so keep up the good work.

flip flop mama said...

Hey Mad, thanks so much. It WAS helpful! I think that's been my problem is knowing where that last stitch goes. I'm going to practice some more tomorrow and see how it turns out. I just need to be better at counting the stitches to make sure I have the right amount. Thanks!