23 April 2010

The one where mercy bites me in the butt

So just over two months or so ago my car was hit by someone. I was turning left into a gas station and the guy that hit me was turning left into traffic. He slammed right into me on my driver's side.

Big Sister hit her head on the window but was okay. To cover my bases I called the cops and they came to the scene. The Officer offered to write a report but to do so he had to issue the other driver a ticket. Since the liability was clear at the scene of the accident, I didn't think it was necessary to add more issues for the other driver so I declined. I chose to show him mercy.

Well Mercy has decided to bite me in the butt this time.

Figures this guy would go tell his insurance company that he wasn't at fault and cause all kinds of problems for me. I had to get a rental car and of course pay my deductible for a grand total of over $1000 out of pocket. On top of that we had to fix a part on our car before they would realign it that cost us over $650. Now the guy who hit me is refusing to give his statement to my insurance company. His insurance wants to do a shared fault situation but that's not fair.

My insurance company has escalated my claim to the next level to try to recover the money that we paid out of pocket. It could take at least another month. We could have really used that money.

I thought by extending a little mercy to him he would reciprocate that to me and do what is right. If this ever happens again I will definitely be covering my bases and getting reports and issuing tickets all over the place. I won't be making the same mistake twice.

12 comments:

jdprice said...

Ouch! Sorry about that situation. Hopefully the rest of us can learn from this. Thanks for blogging it.

Staceygirl said...

If I were there, I would have told you to get the report. That same thing happened to me, except it was in a private parking lot, so the cops wouldn't come. The guy was so apologetic at the scene, too. Big nightmare, but in the end, we won in arbitration. DO NOT agree to share fault... they wouldn't offer to share fault if they thought they weren't guilty. Keep fighting! I vowed that day to own up to any accident I cause right away so that he other driver can move on with life. I had that opportunity when I accidentally backed into someone, and I felt very happy to tell my insurance company that I was the one at fault. You are such a nice person for doing that, but we all know sometimes nice doesn't pay. If he didn't look when pulling out and caused a wreck, then he deserved a ticket. You gotta watch your own back. Good luck in getting reimbursed... don't give up!

Staceygirl said...

Also, have you asked Carter about it? Sometimes a simple letter from him will clear things up right away. It has worked for us at least twice.

flip flop mama said...

Carter thinks I should sue him in small claims court. I'm willing to go through the insurance arbitration first before I do that. Small claims court makes me really nervous.

Alison Wonderland said...

Sometimes people are just so fun.
And maybe you're right to get the report next time,just don't be like the lady that I hit one (fender bender, but completely my fault) who jumped out of her car screaming an cussing while I, a scared 16 year old, just stood there and then when she finally took a breath said "I'm so sorry" with tears in my eyes. Well it took the wind right out of her sails and she later apologized for yelling at me but I always think it's a pretty telling story about how defensive our society has gotten.

bythelbs said...

Traffic accidents--the gift that keeps on giving.

I'm sorry about all of the trouble. I hope you are able to recoup some of your losses.

madhousewife said...

Well, that's suckage. Can you take comfort in the fact that justice will bite him in the butt in the end? It works for me.

Good luck with all the insurance stuff.

The Roz's said...

I'm so sorry about all this! I hope it works out in the end. Working at the Chiropractic office I saw this ALL the time. Hope it works out well for you!

Jen said...

Ugh! How frustrating!

Jen said...

Oh, and I don't blame you about small claims court. We had a renter that owed us a ton of money (5 digits worth) and we were advised to just try and get it through small claims court. I never had the courage to go through with it. Six years later I think I'm just going to have to let it go.

Nick said...

Well STINK!!!! Bad karma to him and good karma to you!!!

emily

Maren said...

BOOOOO! BOOO on HIM! Sucks when you're forgiving and others aren't nearly as kind as you are. I'm sorry you were taken advantage of. :(