09 May 2010

Happy Mother's Weekend!

Yes, I said "Mother's Weekend." Mother's Day isn't just one day this year. This year I decided to do something special for myself. A few months ago my friend told me about an Iron Girl event that they were holding in Del Mar. It sparked an interest in me to train to run a 5K. Last year our ward's Young Women put on a 5K and I walked the whole thing. I wasn't really interested in the race aspect of it, I just wanted to participate. So my walking partner, Erin and I just used it as our morning workout. It was great to be able to say I'd walked a 5K.

So at the beginning of the year I started running a few times a week to train for the 5K. It kicked my butt. We live in a pretty hilly neighborhood so there isn't much opportunity to just run on a flat surface. Then I got sick, my kids got sick, it rained a lot and so I stopped running for a couple months. Fast forward to a month or so ago. There is a local meetup.com group that started up a track workout at the Middle School and so I decided that I needed to join that group so I could at least get one workout in each week. Erin and I went that first night and once again, it kicked my butt. I was so sore the next day. But each week it got easier and easier. Then I set some goals for myself. I ran a mile without stopping on the track. Then I ran a mile and a half without stopping. Then I ran 2 miles around without stopping. I was feeling pretty proud of myself. I figured I would at least be able to finish the 5K.

You see, I am not a runner. Put me in the pool and I can swim for hours. In the water I am at home. On land, I'm a mess. My hips hurt, my legs hurt, my ankles hurt. And I get really bad shin splints. When I was at college I worked out a lot and ran on the treadmill. I had shin splints so bad I could hardly walk. It took a couple years for those to get better.

So when I decided to run the 5K that was big for me.

Yesterday I did it. I ran a 5K. And when I say ran, I mean I only walked for about 30 seconds after I passed the mile 2 marker. That's it. I freakin' ran a 5K. I know to some of you that's nothing, but to me it's big. And I feel good too. It didn't even kick my butt.

Running this made me realize that I can DO things. I can set goals and accomplish them. I can finish what I started.

I am strong.

And so are you.

So to all you women out there set a goal, accomplish it and show yourself how strong you are!

---------------
Happy Mother's Day to all the mother's out there! I'm thankful for my mother and everything she has done for me. Thanks Mom!

I got spoiled this morning! T-Bone made me an omelet for breakfast that was super yummy. I had to say I was a little nervous when he said he was going to make an omelet, but it turned out well! Then Big Sister gave me a balloon and some potted plants for me to plant. Oh and a little ladybug rock that she painted in school. She is finally at that age where she is understanding about Mother's Day and is really getting into it. It's fun to see her get so excited about keeping a secret!

I'm so grateful for my children who have made me a mother. They are a wonderful part of my life and I treasure them.

---------------
On another note, I let Mr. Smiley play with the little balloon that Big Sister gave me and she was not super happy about it. She said, "It's not Happy Brother's Day, it's Happy Mother's day!" So that got T-Bone and I thinking. Why isn't there a Brother's and a Sister's Day? Don't they do good things too? Don't they deserve a day to themselves? We concede that they do. So we have here-by dubbed the Sunday after Mother's Day to be Sister's Day and the Sunday before Father's Day to be Brother's Day! Big Sister has already put in her gifts requests. Feel free to adopt these new holidays for your family.

9 comments:

Julie P said...

GOOD JOB! You're a runner!

bythelbs said...

Yay! Good for you!

Jessica said...

Congrats! That's so awesome!!

Staceygirl said...

Wow. I am not a runner, either. I used to run, but then one day I decided that running just plain sucks and that there really was no reason to do it ever again... I could just exercise in ways I enjoy! So, as a fellow non-runner, I am really proud of you (even if you're a little crazy) :)

Shellybythesea said...

Good for you Jamie! On the same note I hiked 12 miles Saturday at Crystal Cove in Laguna Beach. I swear coming back down the hills I was still going up more hills......but I did it and it's simply because I practice regularly. I actually can hike mountains! You do get better with determination, practice and a lot of guts. Good job!!!

Sharon said...

I am so inspired by your running story. I feel the same way about running (sore everything). Maybe I should give it another try.

Alison Wonderland said...

I'm actually thinking about doing a 5K myself this summer.

Emily said...

Way to go Iron Mama...you may have to change your screen name.

Melissa said...

So, my hubby ended up being home and I could have gone and run... blah. I'm going to run in a 5K one of these days... and I'm glad that you were able to do it!!

Sounds like you had a good Mother's Weekend :) My kids always want to know when "Kids Day" is. I tell them that "Kids Day" is any day that I get their food, clean up their messes, and do nice things for them... meaning that almost every day is kids day ;)