25 May 2010

One Year Ago Today

I thought today would never come. I thought May 25, 2009 would never come. It truly was a dream come true. After two years of trying to get pregnant with two late first trimester miscarriages I finally got pregnant in September 2008. This one would stick and we would find out in January that we were going to welcome a sweet baby boy to our family. He proved to be a stinker when after being dilated to 3cm 3 weeks before his due date, I went overdue. I was in so much pain I convinced my doctor to induce me earlier than our insurance provider usually allows.

May 25, 2009 was the date. We were to arrive at the hospital early in the morning so we could start the induction. The morning was boring but after my water broke at 1pm everything progressed really fast. Out he came at 2:22pm. I'm getting emotional just re-reading his birth story.

This last year has been an amazing one. I am amazed at the amount of love I have. Mr. Smiley is such a joy to have around. He loves people and is always waving at everyone and flashing that darling grin of his. He really knows how to melt people's hearts--including mine. His laugh is infectious. He is so easy going. We are truly blessed to have him in our family.

Some things about him:
*He took his first steps a week before he turned 11 months and now is a walking machine. He wants to walk everywhere instead of crawling.
*He can say "mama, baby, dada, and banana"
*He adores his sister
*He still doesn't like the car seat. I'm hoping when we turn him around he'll like it better
*He eats pretty much everything we give him. Most meals he eats more than his sister. And yet, he is still just a little guy!
*He's starting to climb on things. Yesterday we found him halfway up the bunk bed ladder.
*He's an early riser.
*He's so good at playing by himself. He loves to just wander around the house and explore.
*He loves to snuggle. He'll just come up to me and give me a hug. The sweetest thing!
*He loves the bath. As soon as he hears the water go on he practically runs to the bathroom.
*He loves to knock over stacks of things.
*He loves to have his silky blanket and sucks on it when he's sleeping.

I couldn't resist these baby feet!


And here are a couple I took of him just playing around yesterday

*He's 1 today! We love you Mr. Smiley! Happy Birthday!

8 comments:

hi, i'm brooke! said...

happy birthday cute little sean! he looks so much like his mama! i love it.

bythelbs said...

He is ADORABLE. Seriously. Happy birthday, Mr. Smiley!

Staceygirl said...

Wow, time flies. Your post made me cry because I'm already all postpartum emotional, and I know just how fast my baby will grow. Hope Mr. Smiley has a happy birthday, though! I like that you listed some great things about him... it helps me see that watching my baby grow and getting to know his personality will be part of the joy.

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

He is such a doll! I have loved getting to watch him grow up through your blog. Happy Birthday Sean!

madhousewife said...

Happy birthday, Mr. Smiley!

He is, seriously, a beautiful child. But what would one expect, knowing his mother? HMMM?

Shellybythesea said...

Happy birthday little Seanie. Your grammy loves you!!!

Maile Fano said...

Happy Birthday to the handsome guy!

Katie Harding said...

Awe! Happy birthday little guy! He's adorable!