21 May 2010

The Problem With Clothes

I got a job last week. I know it sounds crazy--it still does to me--but it is what it is and I'm actually really liking it. I'll tell you about it in another post. This post deals with a different topic.

Clothes. There is something seriously wrong with the fashion industry and their sizing charts. I've known this for a while, but this week it was really brought to my attention again.

Since I have been pregnant and not three times in the last few years my wardrobe has changed dramatically. I have gone to maternity clothes to regular clothes three times and consequently my weight has fluctuated quite a bit. So I have had lots of clothes, few of which currently fit me but I manage.

Since I've had Mr. Smiley I have bought clothes sparingly as well. Both because of lack of funds and fashion sense. I only bought the bare minimum of things until I shrunk back to normal size. I have a couple pairs of jeans and some shirts that have lasted me the last few months.

One thing I don't have is any dress pants. And that won't do with an office job.

So last week I went to Kohl's for some work-appropriate clothes. After much searching I was lucky to find one pair of pants and one shirt that fit me and that looked decent. At the register I realized that pair of pants had obviously been owned before because the hem had been hand altered. The price was only $3 something and the hem was perfect for my shortness so I bought them anyway.

I figured I could wear some skirts the rest of the week if I needed to, but they had issues getting me scheduled so I didn't even know if I would work more until Sunday. I needed clothes starting Tuesday so I needed to get out there quick.

So that brings me to last Monday. I packed the kids up after school and off we went to the strip mall with Ross, Marshall's and Nordstrom Rack. I figured they would have the most variety since I hadn't done very well at Kohl's. At Marshall's I found a couple blouses so I figured I was on a roll. Their pant selection was horribly disappointing through. They seriously had 4 in my size.

So I went down to Nordstrom Rack. They had plenty of pants to choose from so I pulled all the styles I liked off the rack in what I thought was my size and headed for the dressing room. I've lost quite a bit of weight since having Mr. Smiley but by no means am I super tiny. I am average weight for my height. I am a petite 5' 2" and weigh 115 pounds. There are definitely people that are smaller than me. Heck I've been smaller than me right now and certain points in my life.

I was swimming in the size 4s. I could not believe it. So I went back and picked a couple from the sparse 2s. Still swimming. What?? The dressing room attendant jokingly said I should try a size 0, but seriously?? They don't even make a size 0! That would mean that there is no one smaller than me. There is something seriously wrong with that.

Now I'm all for making people feel good about themselves. Going into a store thinking they're a size 10 and lo and behold they're fitting into a size 6. Wohoo, good day! But seriously, let's be realistic. That person is not a size 6. America is getting fatter, let's not exacerbate the problem by making people think they aren't. And cause more of a problem for us little people who now can't find any decent clothes that fit us.

Where do you shop? Do you find sizes to be pretty standard across the board or is it just me?

3 comments:

The Roz's said...

I'm in the same dilemma! Nothing fits right, everything has weird sizing. I've never liked clothes shopping, and especially don't now! If you have the patience to go to a thrift store and look through everything, I find good stuff there on occasion. Best of luck to ya, and congrats on the job!

Melissa said...

Oh no... sizes vary from place to place! I have pants that are anywhere from a 6 to a 10. Shirts that range from small to large... even my shoes are all different sizes. Vanity sizing does make you feel a little better, but in the long run, you're right. It's not helping the problem at all.
Congratulations on the job though... glad it's something you're enjoying!

Alison Wonderland said...

So very true and yet, I kind of enjoy pulling on my 0s. (Ok, for get the kind of, I LOVE pulling on my 0s.)