30 September 2010

Has this guy ever had children?

A couple months ago our friends went out of town and asked us to get their Sunday paper for them. I did and perused through it. I came across this article from John Rosemond. Go ahead and read it. I'll wait.

Are you done? So what was your first impression? I'll tell you mine.

A concerned parent writes in asking about her son's throwing problem and the first thing the guy does is insult her! I was in awe that this guy was a Family psychologist and regular columnist and was treating people this way. If I went to him and he answered a question to my face like he does in writing I would walk right out. The second thing that bothered me was his course of action for the child. Sticking a kid that young in his room for that long seems a little much for me. And lastly, don't take any kids to sit-down restaurants until after they are four years old? Are you kidding me? Sounds a lot like "Children should be seen and not heard" approach.

What do you think of Mr. Rosemond's "advice"?

6 comments:

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

Yeah, ditto to your impressions! I couldn't believe he was a therapist either.

Melissa said...

Wow... that's just crazy! 30 minutes for a 2 year old is just too much. This guy is a just a bit on the overboard side! And not taking kids to restaurants is a bad idea. If you want them to learn to behave in a restaurant, well, you have to take them there! I'm not saying you should make reservations and the swankiest joint in town... but I see no reason not to take them to a lot of the mid-range places. I'm still shaking my head at this guy...

Cynthia said...

Holy freak! He must have heard Dr. Laura is 'retiring' and is trying to get her job! For the record, I sorta like Dr. Laura but this guy is just clueless. Saw the door in half and lock the kid in? Are you KIDDING ME? And letting the kid wander the room for a longer period of time is supposed to be a 'stronger' punishment than making the kid sit in one place with no distractions for a shorter period of time? Weird! What a jerk!

Emily said...

Seriously, you are right on! 30 minutes is WAY too long for a kid that young. By the time the first 5 minutes is over, he'll forget what he was "in for." lol

I get kinda frustrated with the world and their view on parenting these days. I think I too feel a blog post coming on.

jdprice said...

that guy is out of his mind!

bythelbs said...

Idiot. It's so ridiculous, it almost seems like a joke.

Also, sounds like someone who does not have kids. People who do not have kids have no business giving advice on parenting. If he does have kids, I pity them.