28 September 2010

Sometimes I just have a really hard time coming up with a title

Yesterday was my birthday. It was a good day. It was filled with lots of fun, food, phone calls, Facebook posts  and festivities. Wow, that's a lot of "F" words...I felt very loved and was grateful for that. I've had some disappointment lately and it was really good to have a day where happiness and friendship abounded. Life doesn't always work out the way I want it I've realized--well actually life hardly ever works out the way I want or expect--and yet I still have a hard time dealing with that. More on that later, but first back to the birthday...

So I have Google Voice. It's cool because all my calls--no matter if they come in on my GVoice number or regular number are sent to my GVoice voicemail and those get transcribed and sent as an email to my Gmail. So anyway, my 90 year old Grandpa called me yesterday (well actually he called T-Bone's phone) and left a message. The best part of having Google Voice is getting the voicemails transcribed. The first line of his message was transcribed as "wishing you A Very Happy Birthday, and all yo". He's totally down with it, ya know? :) I have quite the hip Grandpa, even if it is only Google Voice that thinks that. 

Here's another awesome transcription of a voicemail I got from T-Bone:


Okay. I don't know how are you doing A little bit more about my name is Linda. Hello. Hello. Hello. Something. It's been called in Because, or no, I was going to be a called yourcellphone. And I have a that all I I need to let me home Well, I may and Mr here in the shower. Bye and then net and. If you have been this IS A maybe you never pick the message or so. And has been. Hey.

It's magical.

So I haven't been around much lately. Last weekend I flew up with Mr. Smiley to Washington to spend time with my brother and his family who lives in Olympia. I was lucky and got to spend a couple hours with Bythelbs first on Saturday, who showed me parts of Seattle! Then I spent the rest of the time in Olympia walking around Jesse's new school, the capitol building, rivers and waterfalls and just plain hanging out. Vacationing is different when you have kids that need to nap. I didn't mind though. I was just glad to hang out and spend time with them. Here are some pictures from the trip.









I've been thinking that in the history of my life September has not proven to be very good. Not very many happy things--besides my birthday of course--have happened in September. But then I start thinking about it and realize that I'm wrong. Yes, some really crappy things have happened and are happening, but they are definitely balanced with some really wonderful things. I was listening to the Relief Society Broadcast on Sunday and was struck by the opening song. I loved the speakers, but the song is what I needed to hear. Here are the words to Count Your Blessings: 

When upon life's billows you are tempest tossed,
When  you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord has done.

Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your blessings, see what God hath done.
Count your blessings, name them one by one.
Count your many blessings, see what God hath done.

Are you ever burdened with a load of care?

Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings, every doubt will fly,
And you will be singing as the days go by.

When you look at others with their lands and gold,
Think that Christ has promised you his wealth untold, 
Count your many blessings, money cannot buy,
Your reward in heaven, nor your home on high.

So amid the conflict whether great or small,
Do not be discouraged God is over all.
Count your many blessings, angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you to your journey's end.

I really needed to remember that this life is a small moment. It will be full of heartbreak and trials, but in order to make it through we need to focus on the positives. I have husband who loves me. I have two beautiful children. I have a home to keep me safe and warm. I have so many more things but just thinking about a few things really lifted my spirits. Lastly I have the gospel of Jesus Christ. His true church is here on the earth and I am truly blessed to be a member of it. No matter what happens if I remember these things I'll be okay.

7 comments:

Julie said...

Happy, Happy Birthday! I loved that song, too. It made me tear up. Inspired.

Hoping all works out for the best.

Janelle said...

Sorry about the difficulties. We've been having some too. I also loved the song.

bythelbs said...

I'm glad your bday was filled with all the right F words.

I've been thinking of you--sorry for the rough stuff.

Great shot of the needle! I was so glad I got to spend a few hours with you!

Staceygirl said...

Your title is funny... I hate thinking up titles, too... especially on emails. I don't want the title to give away the point of the email yet because I want the person to read the message, you know? Anyway, I should have wished you a happy birthday. Sorry. I'm glad it was great and that you were able to focus on some positives. Life does throw a lot of curve balls. I predicted I'd be driving a Mustang at my 10 year high school reunion and that I'd live in Arizona because I love it so much. Well, at the time of my ten year reunion I was driving a family wagon and living in Utah. What happened to me, yo? (as your "Grandpa" would say... makes me wonder why there isn't some better artificial intelligence on that transcription that would try to at least figure out a sentence that makes sense. It's worse than a scam email!)

Jessica said...

Happy Happy Birthday! So sorry I missed it. Great pictures - fun that you were able to go to WA. I can't believe how big your little one is. How are things there?

Emily said...

first of all, the googlevoice thing is hysterical! makes me want to try just so i can do a post like that!

second of all, women's conference was amazing! Nick mentioned the other day that has wishes we had a DVR again so he could fast forward through the music in conference. I smiled and said, I'm happy we don't, sometimes the music is the best part!

Sharon said...

Love this post!
Happy late birthday, and the grandpa thing cracks me up, yo!

(I'm totally picturing him saying that. Can't... breathe)