16 November 2010

It's Tuesday




It's Tuesday and I'm doing laundry. That means that I'm a day behind and I don't really like being a day behind. I usually do my laundry on Monday mornings just to get it out of the way but yesterday we spent the whole day at Sea World, so it's excused.  I''m also out of quarters--yes I have to do my laundry in the apartment laundry mat--so I had to go to Albertson's and change my $20 bill for two rolls of quarters. I hate the look the checker always gives me. It's like she's thinking, "Oh, you are one of those people who live in the apartments...." Maybe it's just my insecurities, but why don't they ever just give me my quarters without acting like I just took $100 bill? They are just quarters and I'm pretty sure you can get more if you need them. 
 
As I was sorting and getting ready to do the laundry I was thinking of a few things. I sort my clothes into whites, colors and darks but it's pretty interesting because I wash them all on warm. Why do I even bother sorting them? I just can't bring myself to put them all mixed up in the washer. I almost typed warsher which is really funny because my Grandma always says "warsh". Anyway, the other thing about my laundry is I lost the cup that comes with the detergent bottle so I really have no idea how much detergent is going in to the washer. I just kind of squirt until it looks like there's enough. And I can't really go check to see if it's sudsing (is that a word?) because the washers that we have here are front loading and automatically locking after a minute so who knows what's happening in there. One time I washed my iPhone and I couldn't even open the washer to get it. I just had to suffer for 30 minutes until it was done. There should really be a cancel button.The good thing about having to do my laundry in the laundry mat is that I can do all my loads at once. I am done with laundry in 2 1/2 hours flat.

I've always kind of wondered if we are all just getting the wool pulled over our eyes about laundry and washing machines. How do we know that they are really getting clean? I mean in the olden days clothes were dirty. They worked outside on their land, they got dirty and so you could tell when clothes were clean. My clothes aren't dirty...maybe a little smelly sometimes but really nothing like what they used to have to wash. They come out all warm and smelling clean so they must be clean, I guess.

Well the 30 minutes are up so I have to be the wonderful parent I am and leave my sleeping toddler to change the clothes to the dryer. 

In other news, I'm working on a new knitting project. It should be done by this weekend and it is awesome!

Happy Tuesday!



7 comments:

Julie said...

Apartment laundry is a drag, isn't it?

I have recently thought about the same thing -- are our clothes really dirty? I don't wash the kids' jeans but every 3 or 4 wears and shirts every couple of wears unless there's a noticeable smell/stain. My clothes are the same and Stanton's, too. It's helped, but I still don't find laundry to be my favorite household chore.

And, hey, YAY for SeaWorld!

Janelle said...

I'm doing laundry today too. I did it all day yesterday too. I think every hour I camp is compensated with an hour of laundry.

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

My clean laundry pile was taller than my 6 year old for three days...I finally started folding it today. ;)

bythelbs said...

You are hilarious.

I should have done laundry today, but I didn't. So I guess tomorrow is laundry day.

I sort my laundry by whites, light colors, dark colors and denims. I always wash towels separately, too, separated by white and colored. (Is it offensive to refer to towels as colored?) I only wash my whites on warm because I am ultra paranoid about color-transferring. Ultra paranoid. I've had some painful past experiences. Also, I'm careful about the weight and texture of fabrics--don't want my rough denims and towels snagging/pilling up my pretty blouses and sweaters. (Did I just say blouses? Who says blouses? What is a blouse anyway? I'm not even sure that I own one.)

bythelbs said...

OK, now that I've re-read my comment with the reference to "separated by white and colored", I'm pretty sure it's offensive, even if I'm talking about towels. Sorry!

flip flop mama said...

Julie, we have passes so it's been super fun to just go spend the day down there. The kids love it!

Janelle, that's one reason I don't really like going on vacation too much. Too much laundry when we get back! Especially camping. How do kids get so dirty?

Mother, You really should get on that :) When I get my clean clothes I have a basket for each person and in they go-unfolded. That way the clothes are off the floor and each person is responsible for their own stuff.

bythelbs, you are the hilarious one. I do try to be aware of fabrics too. If I have something dark that is a little more fragile I'll put it in with the colors. Most of the stuff is automatically matched up anyway...like DH doesn't have any medium colored pants. His stuff is mostly dark and I wash the denim with the dark stuff. I'll try to ignore the racist towel comment. :)

Melissa said...

Laundry = the bane of my existence

I usually do it all on Saturday when the kids and hubby are home to help fold and put away.